Countdown to my first Tri.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/9/09 1:47 am - Fort Worth, TX
The biggest tip I can give you is to have fun, enjoy every moment, get lots of pictures and don't be suprised if you cry like a baby when you finish.... I did. I don't think it's just about crossing the finish line, it's all the steps you took and the fear you overcame to just reach the starting line. So, you have already done the hard part, now enjoy it!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

victoria R.
on 3/9/09 2:07 am - goose creek, SC

Dan
I'm already very emotional about it.  It seems like when I first started training  for this event it was a long time away & then suddenly it's here & I still can't believe I'm taking this on.  I will be taking lots of photos or have my friend & also my mentor take loads of photos. Thanks so much for your advice.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

victoria R.
on 3/9/09 2:03 am - goose creek, SC
Chad
I really think I messed up when I originally signed up for this event as far as the pool seeding is concerened.  I initially filled in 20 minutes time for the swim, I didnt pay close attention to what they were really asking me which was what is your est. time for 100 yards, by the time I realized what I had done it was too late to change it.  I have been doing 500 meters in 14 minutes not very fast but faster than the time I put down so I'm probably going to be last & I'm more worried about having to pass any slower swimmers than myself.  I do hope I will be able to relax & really enjoy it, I think if I can get thru that swim I can make it through the rest of the ordeal.

Vicki
290/253/200/175

kypdurran
on 3/9/09 2:28 am - Baton Rouge, LA

That surely makes me smile because I did EXACTLY the same thing in my first official tri last year in Athens Texas.   The lifeguard at the pool I was training in told me that it was a 50 yard pool.   It was actually a 25 yard pool.   So when I got to Athens not only did I get the realization that all the training I was doing was cut in HALF when I registered and put my estimated 300 yard swim time down I put it down for me doing 150 yards and not 300.   I was seeded all the way up front something like 7th.   Heh heh.   I struggled my butt off in the water but I made it through and I'm sure you will too.  Just tell the people behind you that you made the mistake and tell them to tap you on the foot when they come up behind you so you won't be startled when they pass.  

You're gonna do great!   What tri is it by the way?

Chad

victoria R.
on 3/12/09 8:44 am - goose creek, SC
It's the Parris Island Triathlon it's on a Marine Base

Vicki
290/253/200/175

saxman007
on 3/9/09 12:10 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Hey,
Have fun at the race!!  I can't wait to read the report -- my first isn't for a couple of months.
--Dan
Sherry_Berry
on 3/9/09 10:41 pm - Dacula, GA
You're going to have a hard time putting dry clothes on over wet ones. My advice is to swim in your tri suit. what kind of shorts are you wearing?
victoria R.
on 3/12/09 8:52 am - goose creek, SC
Sherry
The suit I've been swimmng with isnt really made for a tri, meaning it doesnt dry fast & I was worried that it may rub me the wrong way so I went out & got some 2XU tri gear top & bottoms which I can use for the swim, bike & run.  So far I really like them, will test them in the pool tommorow.  They passed my bike & run test. 

Vicki
290/253/200/175

Sherry_Berry
on 3/12/09 7:26 pm - Dacula, GA
Glad you got the tri suit. Just don't go in the chlorine pool too much with it. Make sure you wa**** immediately when you get home. Also-if you didn't know (some folks don't) no fabric softener w/tech gear.
jon1970
on 3/9/09 11:43 pm
Make sure you give yourself extra time. For my first tri I had scouted out the area. Driven the bike course. Practiced biking out of transition based on a turn and then a short steep hill. However I forgot to consider that on race morning I would have to park and walk from a considerable distance with my bike and gear.  I missed the tranisition closing time by 5 minutes. I had to beg and grovel to get my chip. It was not a fun way to start the event.

Have fun! It will a blast.
Most Active