Countdown to my first Tri.

victoria R.
on 3/8/09 8:50 am - goose creek, SC
Hey
Well this time next week it will be over, my first sprint tri will be this Saturday.  I started training for this event mid November & it's been challenging and it has gotten me out of my comfort zone.  I've done 2 5k's a 15K and a half marathon since Jan. of this year.  I have been swimming but I'm still not very fast, done loads of indoor cycling but just recently started getting out on the road.  I am using my husbands Schwinn mtn. bike.  I really like riding and if I decide to continue riding I will invest in a road bike.  I am really hoping I can finish this event gracefully without hurting myself or looking like a big klutzo.  If any of you out there can offer some advice for me this week it would be much appreciated.  I have my bags ready and a check list together but I'm already having major anxiety and even dreaming about forgetting something or not having the power to run, crazy stuff... If any of you can share some of your week before tri tips I would appreciate it.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Sherry_Berry
on 3/8/09 9:56 am - Dacula, GA
I'm assuming it's a pool swim?
What's on your checklist?
Do you know your USAT rules?

One word of advice if you can get to a bike shop...
I'm assuming you have fat knobby tires b/c you said mountain bike. You will get a lot of speed back if you go to the shop and pick up smooth tires...unless it's a course on a dirt trail like an xterra.

Have you practiced running immediately after biking?

Also, HYDRATION HYDRATION HYDRATION. If you are used to gels, I'd take one before the swim...maybe even before the run.

Anyhoo-how exciting! Your first tri! Next thing you know you'll be signing up for an IRONMAN!
victoria R.
on 3/8/09 11:12 am - goose creek, SC

It is a pool swim & the venue is a Marine base, I am familiar with USAT rules & base rules as well.  I did run after biking today & that was a rude awakening at first but I stopped to stretch out my calves really good & it helped alot.  I think I will take you up on the smooth tire idea, I'm sure that would help me with speed.  My list includes goggles/cap/tri type suit,bodyglide,helmet, chapstick, sunscreen, sunglasses, waterbottle for bike, top & bottoms to go over my suit not sure yet what the weather is going to be like so not sure what it's going to be yet.. powerade,blocks,gels,kashi bars,advil, socks/shoes, 3 towels, trash bag to cover towel if raining, gel seat cover, race belt, cap,sweat bands, hair scrunce, cash, id, registration confirmation, clothes for afterwards, flip flops, toiletries... if there's anything else I may need let me know. Now as far as an Ironman is concerned that will be awhile if ever.  I've never even been to a tri but I've been watching you tube clips, reading up on it and listening to others. This is waaaayyy out of the norm for me & some of my friends think I've lost my mind but getting ready for this has benefitted me in many ways, mentally & physically.  Thanks so much for your advice you & many others have been such a source of inspiration for me.

Vicki
290/253/200/175

Sherry_Berry
on 3/8/09 7:55 pm - Dacula, GA
Have faith sister! I signed up for an Ironman after 1 sprint tri :)

Keep your legs stretched this week. Be active, but don't overdo it.

If you don't have the power to run...walk. If you can get through the first 10 minutes of the run you'll be set!

PRACTICE YOUR TRANSITIONS. My hubby always thinks this is dumb, but when I do anything outside of an Ironman, transition is important.

Do you have big boobs? I only ask b/c it sounds like you are running in a swimsuit. For me, that would be PAINFUL!
victoria R.
on 3/9/09 1:50 am - goose creek, SC

Yes I do but when swimming I always wear my Moving Comfort sports bra under my suit.  I have & will continue to practice my transitions.  That is so awesome you committed to the Ironman after completing your first sprint tri, don't think I will be doing that.  I plan on being active but not overdoing it with any major strength training.  Thank you so much for the tips.

Vicki
290/253/200/175

Cassie W.
on 3/8/09 10:05 pm
Hi Vicki,

I have no technical advice for you.  But, I did want to wish you well.  You are truly an amazing woman for taking on this challenge  Have fun!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

victoria R.
on 3/9/09 1:52 am - goose creek, SC

Thanks Cassie I really apprecitate it.

Vicki
290/253/200/175

Seht
on 3/9/09 12:06 am
Go get em.  You will do great.
You don't have to be fast, you just have to finish.  Next time you can be fast!

Best of luck.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

victoria R.
on 3/9/09 1:54 am - goose creek, SC
Scott
Thanks... I'm going to do my best even though I know it's going to be hard.

Vicki
290/253/200/175

kypdurran
on 3/9/09 12:28 am - Baton Rouge, LA

You'll be nervous but that's normal.   Don't start out too fast in the pool and just concentrate on your training.   The best advice I can offer?  HAVE FUN and ENJOY the time you get to spend doing your first tri.  You only get one 'first' and crossing the finish line of that first triathlon will be a memory you can cherish the rest of your life.

Best of luck!

Chad
www.team464.com

Most Active