Introducing myself!

BOS02215
on 3/8/09 4:09 am
Hello everyone!  My name is Suzi, I live in southern CA and I have been lurking around the fitness board for awhile so I thought I would say hello!

I had RNY in July 2008 and participated in my first 5K/Obstacle course about 2 months after that and I loved it! I didn't end up running more than 1/2 a mile of the whole thing but I really enjoyed it.  

I have been running on the treadmill off and on since then and I just signed up for a 5k over memorial day weekend. Nothing like a deadline to motivate a training regimen. I am hoping to run the entire 5k this time and I welcome any and all tips and tricks!

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/09 5:36 am - Mt Pleasant, IA
Hi!
I'm still a newbie here so no tips or tricks from me, but instead just a hi and welcome.

JJ
Seht
on 3/8/09 5:52 am
Welcome!

From another former treadmill runner, a couple points
1.  Add incline to your run on the treadmill.  It is much much much easier to run on the treadmill than it is on the street.   Check out this site http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_running/run_treadmill_chart.as p

2.  Make sure you get some real road runs in.  I recently had to shift from the treadmill to the road.  I found that my body takes much more pounding on the road.  The treadmill is cushioned, and there is no wind resistance, or uneven pavement to deal with.

3.  I find that I actually run faster on the road because I am able to take a full natural stride instead of the little shuffle strides I get on the treadmill.  What this means is that I have to monitor my pace, because I tend to expend more energy on the street and tire out quicker.  Where I can run a 5k on the treadmill, I am huffing and puffing after a mile on the street.

4.  You will probably also find that you get caught up in the start of the race.  It won't feel bad, you will just be going with the pack.  What happens to me is that the pack speed is usually faster than my normal pace and I tire out quicker.  Learn your pace and stick with it.  That adrenaline from the start of the race can be a double edged sword.

Best of luck with your run on memorial day.
have you looked at the couch25k program?
It is a gentle interval based program to get you up to a 5k distance
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Scott William
on 3/8/09 7:45 am

Welcome.  You seen to have already gotten down the first tip that I gove to anyone which is to sign up and then worry about getting in shape.  It does motivate.  Good luck

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MacMadame
on 3/8/09 9:42 am - Northern, CA
Here's a second recommendation for the Couch-to-5K program. I could never sustain a running program until I found this system.

I'm doing my first 5k on Sat.!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

victoria R.
on 3/8/09 11:15 am - goose creek, SC

Hi Suzi & welcome.  You may want to consider getting fitted at a running store for some running shoes.  I did that and it made a world of difference for me.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

kypdurran
on 3/9/09 2:36 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Suzi.   Welcome to the board.

Chad
www.team464.com

BOS02215
on 3/10/09 3:41 am
Thanks for the welcome! Sounds like the Couch25K program is well-regarded. As someone mentioned above, I did go get fitted for running shoes as a Christmas present to myself. We have a huge running store in San Diego (not to mention a huge Nike outlet) and went and had the whole foot/gait analysis done. I'm a proud overpronator. I ended up with a nice pair of Brooks and some mid to long arch orthotic inserts. Most importantly I got the right size and shape for my feet and I have been foot-problem free since.

Good tips on the street running vs. the treadmill. I admit I am probably over-dependent upon the treadmill because of so few daylight hours in the winter and so many work hours (if someone can tell me how to change that I am all ears -ha!) but now that the days are getting longer I plan to head outside after work. As a lone female I am wary of walking or running outside in the dark by myself, even in a decent neighborhood.

Thanks for the really nice welcome! I look forward to participating and gaining some knowledge here and hopefully offering some of my own! 
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/09 1:56 am - Milwaukee, WI
Hello everyone...
I thought I'd jump in here as well.  I'm not new to OH but new to this board.  I usually hang out on the Over Fifty Forum.  I'm kicking up my exercise program so I thought I'd come here for hints and help and can hopefully contribute something meaningful once in a while too. 
Most Active