Swimmers, I need help!!

saxman007
on 3/6/09 10:29 am - Port Huron, MI
OK,
I know I'm not alone in this one, but dear God I am HORRIBLE at swimming!!  I used to be a fairly strong swimmer but after I got in the pool tonight I realize I don't remember anything (it has been 20 years).  I was trying to watch the people on either side of me and attempt to mimic their strokes but I need some help here!  If you can recommend any good videos on the internet I'd love to watch and get some information before I try to get feedback from anyone.  I know somebody who coaches and there's an active Masters group (which I was going to try to do on this week, lol) but I'd like to be able to complete 2 laps without feeling like I'm going to die.  
First thing I've got to get down is the breathing, tips/suggestions greatly appreciated!
--Dan
Sherry_Berry
on 3/6/09 7:25 pm - Dacula, GA
You are going to want to start w/drills.

First-can you float? If the answer is yes, you're in GREAT shape!

Here's what I suggest. Go to Youtube and search the following drills:

Sweet Spot (From Total Immersion)-excellent for when you get TIRED!
Kick on Back
Kick on Side
Kick on Side 1 stroke
Kick on Side 3 strokes
Vertical Kick Drill (Need a deep pool, scissor/flutter kick-not dolphin)
One Arm Drill
Fist Drill
Catch Drill
Finger Drag/Zipper Drill

These should get you started and they all have different purposes. Concentrate on ONE concept at a time.

Total Immersion philosophy will have you doing drills for a few weeks even before you attempt any free style. With that said, there are many good things about TI, but also some negatives. I don't recommend the book, the DVD is ok. I started w/TI and had to get some bad habits corrected.

Don't be afraid to ask the good swimmers for a word of advice or to watch you and critique. Most people are happy to lend a minute. Just don't ask the dude who's doing a speed workout.
Most Active