Senior citizen workout advice needed

Musicmama88
on 3/5/09 1:17 pm - Danville, IN
Ok, Im a healthy 62 year old female , had RNy three years ago and lost 140 pounds. This past winter though, due to not exercising Im sure, and adding some carbs, I  have gained ten pounds, but several inches. I want to exercise but have no clue where to start!
There is no gym near here that I can use. However, I can walk, and have several workout videos. Im overwhelmed though as to how to begin. What works best to lose weight, and what works best to tone up? How long and how often?
I appreciate any advice!

Blessings
Betsy
"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

MacMadame
on 3/5/09 3:16 pm - Northern, CA
For losing weight, any intense exercise works. Cardio is a good choice because it burns a lot of calories without having to do anything special.

For toning, you want strength training. It builds muscles, which we all need when we are losing weight. Plus muscle is metabolically active so having more of it helps burn more calories.

My surgeon recommends a minimum of two days of cardio and two days of strength training a week. You should do this for at least 30 min., but more is better.

Finally, as we get older, osteoporosis is a concern. You can combat that with any weight-bearing exercises. That includes walking.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active