Running discomfort

Seht
on 3/5/09 2:29 am, edited 3/5/09 2:30 am
So I noticed that with running on the street, I seem to take more of a pounding especially on the upper body.  This is something I never felt on the treadmill.  Any suggestions beyond wearing compression garments?  I'm a bit surprised at how uncomfortable this makes running.

I suppose I could contact Kramer and order a bro or a manzere

While on the subject of compression garments, has anyone tried the cold weather under armor.
What do you wear in the rain.  I'm always freaking cold and I know it will be worse when wet, but if I layer up, I get too hot.  So any suggestions for rain gear or layering would be appreciated.

I know the rainy season is coming to a close, but I thought I might be able to pick up something at an end of season sale.

I also notice that when running outside, especially in the cold, I become a mucus producing machine.  I don't have allergies, but I start dripping like crazy as soon as I start huffing and puffing in the cold.  Any suggestions or solutions for this issue.

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 3/5/09 2:57 am - Port Huron, MI
 I've been told running on a treadmill is a lot gentler on the body than outside.  You might want to try some trail running before switching over to the road -- my guess though is that you'll get accustomed to the pavement pretty quick.  Maybe just back down speed/length for a couple of runs to let your body adjust.
About Underarmour, I LOVE mine!!!!  I actually had my parents get some from one of their outlet stores -- I believe the tops were $25 (I can check @ home) that are the wrong size (XL) but never worn  If you're interested we can do PM's.  Worth checking out, can probably call them and ask what they have on their clearance racks.  They are most definitely worth the $$
Anyways, I'd suggest being a little careful as they can be warm!!  Here's my clothing selection for weather:
50+ shorts/t-shirt
upper 40's: shorts/long sleeve t-shirt
35 - 45ish: tights/long sleeve t-shirt
25 - 35ish: tights or underarmour w/shorts/underarmour top
18 - 25ish: tights or underarmour w/shorts/underarmour top + longsleeve t-shirt
18 and below: tights or underarmour w/fleece pants/underarmour + light running jacket (if windy/wet)
I just put that out there because it's SO easy to overheat in the cold.  I find 25 - 40* probably the hardest temperature to run in and stay warm without overheating.
A couple of weeks ago I went running on a mildly wet night when it was about 40/45 degrees out with shorts and my underarmour top.  I felt great the whole run, not to hot/not to cool.  It was actually an ideal run.
Mucus buildup, yeah I cleanse the sinuses normally running in the cold -- got to blow the nose while your out there.
Hope this helps a little!  Personally I really love running on a cold night with a full moon and snow on the ground, just nothing else like it!
--Sax
Seht
on 3/5/09 3:10 am
Thanks for the suggestions.
I can't even begin to imagine running in shorts at any of those temperatures.  I'm constantly freezing.  You wouldn't even catch me out of the house with the temperature down in the freezing range.

Spent years being constantly hot, now I'm constantly freezing.  I'm sitting at my desk right now wearing a long sleeve shirt, a fleece pullover and I have the space heater running.  The only part of me that is warm is the part that has the heater pointed directly at it.  My feet to my waste are cold.

I guess I need to make sure I'm carrying a snot rag with me on the runs. 

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 3/5/09 3:19 am - Port Huron, MI
 Lol, 2 years ago I kept my house at 62 during the winter and was more than comfortable.  Now it's set at 68 and I am at least in a sweatshirt and often under a blanket.  I've got an extra fleece coat that I keep at school and often wear when I'm not teaching.  I used to make fun of the girls in my classes complaining about being cold -- now I understand!!!
MacMadame
on 3/5/09 3:24 pm - Northern, CA
I can tell you what figure skaters do about the snot issue.... they use their gloves and the long sleeves on their warm-up jackets. Gross, I know. :rofl12:

Can you run on a track? It's easier on you than the street.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active