How much can I expect to lose really?

McKenzie G.
on 3/2/09 11:00 pm - Muscatine, IA
Ok, since having medical problems starting last May I gained 20 pounds, we finally got the issues (iron & b12 def.) under control so I'm back to eating right, exercising, & taking my vites.  My boyfriend is in school now for 6 weeks and while he is in school I have been going to the Y, alternating days with cardio & strength training, using SparkPeople & some stuff from The Biggest Loser.  Could I realisticly expect to lose 20 pounds in 6 weeks? 10 maybe?

kypdurran
on 3/2/09 11:27 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Not sure what SparkPeople is and I don'****ch the biggest loser.   That's a little over 3 pounds a week which is definitely do-able with intense exercise and eating healthy. 

Best of luck!

Chad
www.team464.com

Seht
on 3/2/09 11:38 pm
The thing about the bigget loser is they are spending almost an entire day in the gym.
I saw one article from that quoted one of the trainers that indicated it was impracticle for most people to expect to see what they are accomplishing. 
If you didn't have to work and had no family responsibilities, a personal trainer and could spend 6 hours a day in the gym then yeah you could do it.

Our advantage is the WLS and the amount we can eat and or absorb.

You would need a reduction of 10,500 calories a week below what your body needs to maintain.  Or you would need to burn that many more calories in the gym, or a combination of the 2.

It's certainly not impossible, but it will take very dedicated work. 
I'm not sure how many calories you are eating in a week, but a reduction of that scale is quite a bit.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

McKenzie G.
on 3/3/09 1:48 am - Muscatine, IA
On March 3, 2009 at 7:38 AM Pacific Time, Seht wrote:
The thing about the bigget loser is they are spending almost an entire day in the gym.
I saw one article from that quoted one of the trainers that indicated it was impracticle for most people to expect to see what they are accomplishing. 
If you didn't have to work and had no family responsibilities, a personal trainer and could spend 6 hours a day in the gym then yeah you could do it.

Our advantage is the WLS and the amount we can eat and or absorb.

You would need a reduction of 10,500 calories a week below what your body needs to maintain.  Or you would need to burn that many more calories in the gym, or a combination of the 2.

It's certainly not impossible, but it will take very dedicated work. 
I'm not sure how many calories you are eating in a week, but a reduction of that scale is quite a bit.

Scott
Well, I wasn't speaking of spending the whole day in the gym like on the show, but I am following the fitness plan that is in The Biggest Loser Workout book and using the DVDs.

Linn D.
on 3/3/09 1:45 pm - Missoula, MT
Honestly Kenzie, if you make it your primary goal just to keep with the exercise program you'll be better off in the end.  Maintaining a regular exercise program is less about weight loss and more about health.  I'm 43 and just had my lipid panel done.  I exercise with moderate to high intensity 6 days a week and have fabulous HDL, LDL, and triglyceride levels.  Exercise increases your HDL levels which is protective against cardiovascular disease.  It also helps to keep blood glucose levels low.

It's just something you should do for the sake of health rather than focusing on weight loss.  Unfortunalely, it's easy to get disappointed if you don't lose weight (if that's your primary goal) leading to resistance to exercise.

I wish you all the best in your journey,

Linn
McKenzie G.
on 3/3/09 1:58 pm - Muscatine, IA
On March 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM Pacific Time, Linn D. wrote:
Honestly Kenzie, if you make it your primary goal just to keep with the exercise program you'll be better off in the end.  Maintaining a regular exercise program is less about weight loss and more about health.  I'm 43 and just had my lipid panel done.  I exercise with moderate to high intensity 6 days a week and have fabulous HDL, LDL, and triglyceride levels.  Exercise increases your HDL levels which is protective against cardiovascular disease.  It also helps to keep blood glucose levels low.

It's just something you should do for the sake of health rather than focusing on weight loss.  Unfortunalely, it's easy to get disappointed if you don't lose weight (if that's your primary goal) leading to resistance to exercise.

I wish you all the best in your journey,

Linn
Of course I am doing it for my health, however I have gained 20lbs from my lowest post op weight and I'd like to at least get back down to that point.

Linn D.
on 3/3/09 8:41 pm - Missoula, MT
All I was saying really, is be careful of the 'diet and exercise to lose X amount of pounds' mentality.  It isn't a good way to look at things even in the short run.  That's how most of us got to the point of surgery in the first place.

If your boyfriend is worth anything it won't matter to him whether you lose 2 or 20.  He'll be proud of you for committing to your health.  I know it's something you want, but if you are committed to your exercise program it will happen as it will, and maintenance is the biggest part of success.  That's where you'll help yourself out in the long run.

I know it isn't what you wanted to hear, but that's the truth of the matter.  I'm 5 years out.  I'm able to maintain because I exercise.  I'm healthy because I exercise.  All I'm trying to say is when exercise truly is a part of your life, the weight will eventually come back off again and is more likely to stay off over time.

Linn
MacMadame
on 3/3/09 2:43 pm - Northern, CA
I think 20 is a bit ambitious for someone as close to goal as you are. But 10 seems doable. To lose two pounds a week, I have to eat 900 calories a day or less and burn 2500-3000 calories in exercise.

It's doable for me, but I'm only 5 months out and I still can't eat a lot. I expect in another month or two, it's going to get harder.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active