Armadillo Dash 5K Race Report

Hawgman
on 3/1/09 11:56 pm - TX
I went to my first ever race of any kind on Sunday in College Station, TX. 

I live about 1.5 hours from College Station, so I left the house about 4:30.  I wanted to be there by 615 or so just to feel comfortable and get to wear I need to be.  I had directions from the internet and GPS in the truck. I arrived a little after 6:00, and tried to follow my directions and never could find it.  I even stopped at a gas station and they gave me directions to the park.  It turned out to be the wrong park.  I drove around some more and had just about decided to go home and I stopped at another gas station and a police officer was there and I asked him for directions.  It turned out he was in charge of traffic around the park and we were only two blocks from the park entrance.

I had to park about 1/2 mile from the registration booth.  I hustled up and got there and had just put on my bib when they called the runners to the starting line.  The half marathoners left and about 10 minutes later we were off and running.  There were 411 runners so it took a while for everything to sort out.  About the mile marker everything was fine and we were rolling.  In between there and the two mile mark the leaders passed us on the way back.  I commented on how fast they were to an older gentleman that I was running beside and he said, "That's OK."  I thought about that the rest of the way.  Coupled with what I have read on this site about the racing being about you and not your competitors, it certainly made a lot of sense.

The race itself was fairly flat and I figured out in the last mile I had too many clothes on.  I was able to kick it in the last 1/2 mile and finished in 35:02.  I was very proud of myself and my pace.

I have a 10k at the end of the month in Athens, TX and am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the inspiration that everyone on this board provides.

Darrell
Seht
on 3/2/09 12:03 am
Congrats on the first race!
I'm glad you were able to find it in time.
It certainly sounds like you had good results and should be proud of your first race.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Scott William
on 3/2/09 2:05 am
Way to go Darrell.  DLF>DNF>>DNS  (dead last finish is greater than did not finish which is even greater than did not start)!!!  Congrats on having the courage to start.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
levittown_loser
on 3/2/09 2:51 am - Levittown, PA
Congrats Darrell! 

Your about to get the race bug.   Look out!   I got it myself :)

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Rob S.
on 3/2/09 4:00 am - DE
Good job, Darrell.  You never forget your first run post-RNY.
Rob
Cassie W.
on 3/2/09 9:17 am
Congratulations Darrell!  There's nothing like that first race to get you psyched for the next one.  Each race is a personal victory that symbolizes how far we've come.

Good luck in Athens!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

victoria R.
on 3/2/09 10:14 am - goose creek, SC

Congratulations on a job well done!

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Linn D.
on 3/2/09 7:24 pm - Missoula, MT
Nice Job Darrell!

That first one is always a little nerve-wracking, let alone adding to it trying to find the place!

Great job continuing on and asking.  Hope you had fun, and here's to Athens!

Linn
MaryS
on 3/2/09 10:10 pm - Long Island, NY
Congratulations - great job!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Hawgman
on 3/2/09 11:23 pm - TX
Thanks everybody!!
Most Active