Northeast Road Runners Club Winter 10k race report

levittown_loser
on 3/1/09 9:43 am - Levittown, PA
I entered my second official race today!   Last week was a 5k and this week was a 10k.  

I was a bit worried when the forecast called for snow but it was supposed to clear before race time.   I did wake to snow and as predicted (unbelievable I know!) it cleared as I drove to the race.   The sun came out and the snow on the pavement melted down for a great race.

I signed in and got my number then off for a mile run to warm up.

We started right on time and we were on our way.  3.1 miles  down and back the path of Kelly Drive past Boat House Row in Philadelphia.

My first mile clocked in at 8'48" and I soon settled into a pace after getting over the "I need to stay up here" new racer thoughts.  

During my training my best pace for 10k has been 10'19" per mile.   I was hoping to finish this race at a 10 min pace.

I tell ya running in a race really does push you!    I finished the race at 58:05 - 9'20" pace per mile!

Official standings have not been posted yet but that's my recorded time.  I placed 137 out of 180 or so people overall. 

So my 5k pace last week was 9'06" per mile and it went to 9'20" per mile for this 10k.  Not bad! 

I have a few 5k races planned before the May Broad Street 10 Miler.   I just need to add a few more miles to my training and I think I can do it!    Then a 1/2 marathon by fall.   I'm loving this guys!

Thanks,

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Linn D.
on 3/1/09 12:41 pm - Missoula, MT
Great Job Tom!

Thanks for sharing your joy.  This is a great forum for that. 

Here's to keeping on having fun at this!

Linn
levittown_loser
on 3/1/09 7:06 pm - Levittown, PA
Thanks Lin!   You guys really inspired me to want to go beyond the 5k. 

Cheers!
Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

MacMadame
on 3/1/09 2:02 pm - Northern, CA
What a great accomplishment!

Btw, I grew up in Levittown.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

levittown_loser
on 3/1/09 7:10 pm - Levittown, PA
Thanks!   I kinda feel unstoppable :)

Levittown ...lol ... I grew up here and moved away only to return and buy a house here years later.  It's an insteresting place for sure.   What section did you live in?   I'm in Lakeside.

Tom

MacMadame
on 3/2/09 12:42 am - Northern, CA
My development started with an M. So all the streets did too. Does your street name start with an L?

I can't remember the development name any more, but we were in the Bristol Township part and not one of the more middle-class areas.

I got out at 13 and I ain't never coming back. I'm a California Girl now.

levittown_loser
on 3/3/09 5:06 am - Levittown, PA
You probably lived in Magnolia Hill or something.  Yep my street starts with an L!

I'd MUCH rather be a California Boy ... then a Flanneltown Boy ... er um I mean Levittown Boy :)

MacMadame
on 3/3/09 12:28 pm - Northern, CA
Flanneltown. That's funny.

Magnolia Hill sounds too upscale. Then again, it sounds familiar.

The main drag around the development is Mill Drive so Mill Something is probably the development name. I tried to find a picture of the entrance to the development on Google Maps but the sign seems to be gone.

Hawgman
on 3/1/09 11:31 pm - TX
Way to go Tom!!  Keep it up.

Darrell
Scott William
on 3/1/09 11:33 pm
Way to go Tom.  I have notices that only the hard core runners are willing to get involved in the winter races.  If you did the same race in the summer with the same time, you would be in the top 1/2.  Nice job!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active