Personal trainer worth it?

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 5:00 am - Mt Pleasant, IA
So I joined my local Anytime Fitness yesterday. It doesn't officially open until tomorrow. I am wondering if a personal trainer through the facility is worth it? I have read articles that most of them at places like this are just regular employees with no or very little special training.
Any advice appreciated!!
Thanks and Happy Sunday!
JJ
Gavin H.
on 3/1/09 7:58 am - Clovis, CA
I don't know about your gym, but the small 24/7 place I just joined hired college students to do their training.  Of course their major's are all in align with fitness so they are all great at it.  I would ask them about their trainers..  I had an hour with one to get back into working out, and plan on setting up at least a 1 hour a month slot to keep me going...

Cheers,
Gavin

Tom B.
on 3/1/09 12:07 pm - Runnemede, NJ
I hired the trainer at the gym I go to. I took a chance on that, and I say that because i didn't ask to see any certs. I went on  several conversations I had with him and the owner of the gym. Having previous limited research on fitness and nutrition. I knew he was going  in the direction I wanted to go in. And toi quite honest i knew I needed a kick in th arse to get me to do more intense workoutas and he seams to be doing just that.
He was willing to work with my cost factor too., which helps me out

one of the certs to look for is CSCS. I am trying to remeber what theother ones are. Going to google them.

Weight
Consult/ Sugery/Current/Goal/lost
358.4         347     217    218   141.4
7/31/08 12/18/08-03/24/2010 

Timing is everything.

I sure hope my scale is correct.lol

http://www.myspace.com/f14tcjoe

look me up on Facebook too    
Seht
on 3/1/09 11:38 pm
I have seen both extremes.  The ones that work at the local Y were not very good.  They were encouraging, but if you asked them anything out of the norm, or anything that would stress their knowledge, they just seemed to shut down. 

You might want to talk with them, and then talk to someone outside of the gym and see what they have to say.  Do a little comparison shopping.

Good luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Rob S.
on 3/2/09 4:07 am - DE
I have found the personal trainers to be extremely helpful in getting you started.  Doing two or three sessions with them is sufficient to build your base.  Then sign up again in about four months.  You need to find a trainer that works for you.  You can usually scope them out at the gym and figure out who are the best.  Usually the best trainers are the ones that are very difficult to schedule.  I hae been extremely lucky because my trainers does my sessions gratis, and in return I give motivation sessions to some of her new clients. 
Rob
puju11
on 3/2/09 7:42 pm - NJ
I love my trainer at my gym. I heard about him before picking him. He is also very big on nutrition. He can answer any questions I have and he pushes me to do things that I wouldn't have done on my own, Try it. Good Luck

Kim
Most Active