A marathon? You're kidding, right?

zenia
on 2/28/09 2:53 am
I've never been much of an athlete. Even before I gained the weight that eventually led me to gastric bypass, I just wasn't into sports. I'm still not, but now I have a very personal mission: I'm going to run a marathon in June!

I've joined Team in Training, a group that raises funds in support of the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. My goal is to raise $5,400 over the next few months, money that will be directed toward cancer research and helping the families of leukemia and lymphoma.

I never thought I would be able to run a mile, much less a marathon...but I'm on my way. Thanks to the life-changing surgery Dr. Raja and his staff performed and to a little bit of stubbornness on my part, I've lost 103 pounds and gained a real interest in running. Now I want to put that interest to good use. Please see my website here for more information:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/stx/anchor09/tzarate
victoria R.
on 2/28/09 4:56 am - goose creek, SC
Good for you.  I totally understand. I never ever ran in my life unless I was forced to in gym class or softball practice.  I've recently started running and so far this year I've completed 2 5k's a 15k and a half marathon.  I'm going to put a full marathon on hold for awhile but I have my first sprint Tri in March as well as another half marathon at the end of March.  I never thought I would ever be attempting stuff like this.  It's challenging, fun and most of all rewarding.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Linn D.
on 2/28/09 9:47 am - Missoula, MT

Good for you!

I hope it's everything you hope for it to be.

We're all here to support you, and I for one, wish you all the best with your training.

Linn
saxman007
on 2/28/09 11:50 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Good luck in your training!!  I had a blast doing my first marathon in October, you'll love the feeling of accomplishment when you cross that finish line.  Keep us posted on your training.
--Sax
Most Active