New to this woking out thing..any advice?

blessedabundantly
on 2/26/09 12:51 pm - Abilene, TX
I joined a gym today. :) Yeah me. LOL  Now I need some sort of a plan. I mean, I need to do more than just show up and put my time in on the treadmill.   So, any advice on a work-out schedule? I want to use the weight machines but I'm not quite sure how to put a plan together.
I know I can ask the people at the gym, but I figured I'd ask here as well.

So, what type of schedule do you do? How long have you been doing it? Any other advice for a newbie??
}i{ Denise }i{ 

Look me up on FB ( Denise Stoddard Harman). Please mention OH in your request.
Scott William
on 2/26/09 9:46 pm
When I am going well, I try to do at least 30 minutes of pretty heavy cardio 5 days a week followed by some weight lifting.  When I lift, I want to hit the big muscles that will grow and burn more calories when I am resting. 

For me and most WLS patients, the legs are strong and it is pretty easy to keep them strong.  The three main muscles in the legs are the quads, hamstrings and calfs.  I will do exercises on one day that work all three of those muscles.

Another day, I will do what I call a push day.  On that day, I work the muscles invloved in pushing like the chest, triceps and shoulders. 

The third day, I do a pull day which involves the biceps and back.

Typically, I will do two or three exercises for each muscle group and three to four sets per exercise. 

It is not as invloved as it seems and most machines can tell you how to use them and what muscles they work.  You can also watch what the people in the free weight room are doing and get some ideas from them.  When I lift, I don't really mess around too much.  Some people like to do a set and sit for 5 minutes and then do another.  I jump from one exercies to another pretty quickly which also helps the cardio and keeps the heart rate up. 

Lastly, I try to keep a strong core and stay flexible by stretching and doing core work.  That helps to keep an overall level of fitness that I enjoy.

There are a million ways to keep in shape and work out.  This is just one way but as long as you are getting your heart rate up for 30 or more minutes and hitting the weights with a bit of intensity, you will have a pretty good level of fitness.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
blessedabundantly
on 2/26/09 9:59 pm - Abilene, TX
Awesome, thanks. :)
}i{ Denise }i{ 

Look me up on FB ( Denise Stoddard Harman). Please mention OH in your request.
kypdurran
on 2/27/09 5:57 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Denise.   I'm sure your gym has trainers that you can hire by the hour.   You can get them to establish an cardio and weight routine for you and also show you how to use the equipment properly.  If you've never lifted weights then that may be the route to go because doing exercises wrong with weights can lead to injury. 

Best of luck!

Chad
www.team464.com

Most Active