When is jogging running?

Jce3g
on 2/25/09 11:03 pm - MI
I was wondering what some of you consider jogging and running.  For me personally on the threadmill anywhere from 5.0 to 5.5 is jogging after that I start to take on more of a running stride.  I am working to make 6.0 my easy speed.

Jason
Seht
on 2/25/09 11:52 pm
Great question, I'd like to see others answers to this as well.

I would say it changes for each person,
but for myself it would be when I reach a speed where I can't carry on the easy conversataion.
If I am concentrating on breathing or having to huff and puff to carry on a conversation, then I am running.  I also notice my heart rate go up much faster at what I would consider a run than a jog.

When I started running exercising, anything over 4 mph was a run for me, out of breath, muscles wanting to quit etc.  Now I am walking at that speed, and 5 mph is my jog, and I am pushing for the same speed you are.  I have been doing all of my runs at 6 mph with some incline on the treadmill.  When I'm capable of having it be my comfortable run and I can do my 5k at that pace, I'll increase the speed again.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Scott William
on 2/26/09 5:20 am
I always feel like I'm running until I see my shadow.  Then I realize how pathetic I really look.

When I am at 6.5 or higher, I feel like I am runnnig.  When I feel like puking after a run, I really feel like I was running.

It took a while before 6.5 became my baseline speed.  It was 6.0 for a few years.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
levittown_loser
on 2/26/09 6:41 am - Levittown, PA
I don't know how my answer relates speed wise because it would be different for everyone but ....

I feel your jogging when you always have one foot on the ground supporting you like walking.  I feel your running when your getting airborne in between from foot to foot.

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Linn D.
on 2/26/09 7:15 am - Missoula, MT
I figure a person is a runner when they can go for 30 minutes or more without stopping to walk - regardless of the speed.

Linn 
Deanna34
on 2/26/09 8:59 am - Salem, OR
Yes!  I totally agree with Linn!!!

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/26/09 10:46 am - Fort Worth, TX
I have never heard a person who completed a marathon say... "I jogged a marathon", no matter the finish time, they always say "I ran a marathon". When reffering to distance, like Linn said, you are a runner, I think when you run for shorter distances, under 2-3 miles and are still in your zone 1 of heart rate, you were a jogger. when you go beyond 3-4 miles into the medium distances, I think you are a runner, but did'nt neccesarily RUN. I think running has more to do with your RPE (Rate of Percieved Excersion). I would say once you feel like you are excerting yourself over 3-4 on a scale of 1-10 for percieved excersion, you are no longer jogging, you are probably running. Not sure if this made any sense, but it's my 2 cents, and you can keep the change ! Today I ran 3.1 miles at 6.3 mph and kept heart rate in mid 130's.. Earlier last week I ran 3.1 at 8.0mph, heart rate was in low 150's and I was definately running. Anyways, take care... I have never seen anyone jog away from the cops, but have seen cops jog towards the runners! Ha...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 2/26/09 2:13 pm - Northern, CA
I consider it all running.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 2/26/09 2:18 pm - Missoula, MT
My humble opinion...

Many many people are recreational runners.  They don't work out for speed.  They don't try to compete - even with themselves.  These people are still runners in my book.  Speed is a separate issue altogether.  I can run slowly or fast.  Either way I'm still running.

I read something recently written by The Penguin just on this topic, but I can't remember where.  The point was along these lines.  People run for many different reasons, but speed and competition don't have to be among those reasons to make someone a 'real' runner. 

I do speed workouts because I want to get faster.  I'm still a runner at any speed in my book though I also consider myself an athlete in training.  New runners are still runners even if they aren't fast.  No need to be elitist about speed.

Linn
Michael Wells
on 2/27/09 5:00 am - Middletown, DE
Here is a link to an article by The Penguin that addresses this question...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-332--12126-0,00.html
Most Active