Shocked at my general muscle weakness

Chris D
on 2/22/09 5:17 am - Prince Rupert, Canada
RNY on 10/01/08 with
I am almost 5 months post RNY.  I have lost 86 lbs so far.  My son has put me on a weight lifting program.  We work out together 4 days a week usually.  Anyway, I used to be very proud of the fact that I was relatively strong.  I played rugby and water polo in the "pre-childbirth era".  I am finding now that I don't have nearly body strength that I used to.  when I use free weights it is usually between 3 and 8 lbs depending on the exercise.  But my arms shake so much it is hard to control.  My legs shake.  When I attempt to do a lunge, I barely have the strength to do them properly.  My son tells me that form is more important that weight so I am trying so hard to control my limbs.  My co-ordination is shot to hell as well.  He was laffing at me at first but now he gets frustrated when I can't do a combo move.  Is this normal?  He has me working different body parts each workout.  I usually do about an hr of weights, 20-30 min cardio and then I swim a km and do egg beater drills for 15 min.  I love the weight loss and I absolutely love the workouts, especially when my son is with me to motivate me but the aching muscles and the shakes is a lil distressing. 

ps.  On Buns and Thighs day I need to figure out how to pee standing up.  lol

Linn D.
on 2/22/09 10:09 am - Missoula, MT

It isn't uncommon at this stage of the game to feel like you have no strength.  We get awfully used to using our weight for all sorts of things and really don't have the overall strength we think we do (personal opinion).  As you continue with strength workouts, you'll start to feel stronger, it's just really hard to balance the weight loss with strength training.

It'll probably be over a year before you feel like yourself again.  Just give it some time and keep up with the exercise.  You'll be a new woman when you're done!

Linn

Chris D
on 2/22/09 10:20 am - Prince Rupert, Canada
RNY on 10/01/08 with
Thanks Linn,  I never really thought about it before as "using my weight"... very good point.  I love the feeling after a workout.  I love to sweat and work hard.  It just really distressed me at my lack of muscle control and strength.

Most Active