Help---Getting ready to start running

LoveToCruise
on 2/21/09 12:13 am - Abilene, TX
Hello,

I had surgery on Jan 12th and I am itching to start running. I have been walking about 2-3 miles a day. My goal is to run in the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon next March. I have NEVER been a runner so I don't know much about it but I am reading a couple of books to get an idea. I would like to know from you all things like did you change your eating (everything I read is about carbs which we are supposed to have sparingly) at what weight do you think it is ok to start running without causing injuries (I am at about 235 now highest was 280),  what do I need to get started, and any other advice you can give me.  Since I am new to running should I start with a couch to 5K before I start the 1/2 marathon training plan or do I just dive in ? Thanks for any info/encouragement you can provide. I am sooooo excited I have always wanted to be a runner!!! 
2009---My year to shine !

Please check out my website below:
pages.teamintraining.org/ntx/wdw10/tmarshabo6

Strongone
on 2/21/09 1:08 am, edited 2/21/09 1:09 am
hello
First i will seek my doctor advice. My daughter dad is a runner and been in many marathon. I think its like 26 miles. I can't run 26 miles straight without begin out of breath and feel like i want to die.. I'm not in a great shape to finish a marathon. I would like to run one day. I'm still working on running and to running 3 miles in 20 minutes.Running a marathon can be hard on the body if you are not physical fit and not prepare for it. especially  if you haven't ran . I will build my body and muscle before i do something like that. I know your incision is still trying to heal and your body. First just focus on getting your body right and healing correctly.Remember protein,protein build muscle and also strength training. I will focus on my diet and building that body strong.Nothing like a injury to your joints and muscles.I will do a 5k walk just to start out before I add running a marathon,.Make sure you are well train to do a 5k walk, nothing like beening out of breath and someone has to pick you up off the ground. I will be so embrassed !!!. I will know what my body can handle before I make that call. .Mayable when you start  walking, and jogging, to build your durance then you can get ready for that marathon. I just don't want for you to hurt yourself or cause injuries to your knees or other part. of your body. it's like you have to crawl before you walk.We only get one body. I will just focus on walking and then puts some brisk walking  to kick it up a notch.Then add jogging once you know that you can pass the brisk walking for a while.I will train myself each day and see how much i can walk and jog in a certain time amount. Did you will have some type of time on your walking and jogging speed.Do you know your pace and how long does it take for you to walk 3 miles or jog in 3 miles?.Don't be in a rush girl for that marathon because there are plenty of them that you can do.Some health center or community center do have a training class and will do a physical assessment on you to see  where you at in a physical state to run a marathon.Basically just work on building your body and walking for you can get your body up to speed safely. I know you  like to dive in many things ,but always seek your doc advice. Keep on doing it up .
Scott William
on 2/21/09 2:31 am
First of all, make sure that you are forming good habbits with the eating.  I started marathon training about 4 months out from surgery and it screwed up my eating.  I didn't give myself enough time to cement the good habbits.

With that said, I think the princess half is a good goal.  Your milage won't be so high that you cravings go out of wack. 

I would start off by finding a 5K somewhere close to you and sign up now, even if you will have to walk some.  It will give you a short term goal to work toward and get you introduced to the running community.  It can be an odd bunch.  :)  I would also invest in some good running shoes.  You will find them by going to a running shoe specialty store.  You are probably not going to find a great pair at the big chain stores.

Other than that, you will want to build a solid base through about November of several 3-4 mile runs a week.  Starting in early November, increase the milage by adding a mile to each long run (usually Saturday).  Over the course of 10 weeks, you will be at 13 miles and you will not have even noticed.    There are a ton of good training books and most say about the same thing.  Increase your milage slowly to avoid injuries enjoy it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
LoveToCruise
on 2/21/09 4:56 am - Abilene, TX
Cool another DIS'er !!! Thanks for the info. I am really excited.

Scott William
on 2/21/09 11:21 pm
Do you go to the WISH board at all?  Pretty good group over there. 
Scott

LoveToCruise
on 2/21/09 11:48 pm - Abilene, TX
I have started reading there and at Disney Running but I have not actually posted at either. I plan to post at both.

Scott William
on 2/22/09 3:35 am, edited 2/22/09 3:35 am
They are both good.  Disneyrunning is opperated by a guy named Robert.  He has the answers to any disney running question you can think of and is also active on the WISH boards.  I am co-captain of one of the evercise teams over at WISH also.  We track miles and minutes of exercise.  If you act quickly, you can become a rebel alliance member!!
LoveToCruise
on 2/22/09 3:49 am - Abilene, TX
How do I get involved in one of the WISH teams?

Scott William
on 2/23/09 12:21 am

I would follow this link and just say that you want to join a team.  Someone will  most likely send you our way (team: Rebel Alliance).  From there we track miles and minutes for anything that gets you off the couch.  Cleaning counts!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2071892

Scott

Linn D.
on 2/21/09 7:10 am - Missoula, MT
Hi there!

I was never a runner either.  I did some sprints in high school, but mostly did the field events.

First of all, be sure you're cleared to begin running.  I was also about 4 months post op before I began a  walk to jog program.  Like Scott said, when you introduce it slowly, you have fewer cravings and can really get good eating habits and learn about what your body is telling you.

I second Scott's motion of getting to a running store to find your shoes.  Because I have low arches I always assumed I needed stability shoes.  I went to my local running store and he put me in a neutral because even though I have low arches, I don't pronate when I walk or run.  Having the right shoes makes a big difference in injury prevention.  I no longer have knee issues.

Another good investment is a sports bra that holds you in place.  I still get sores, but not as bad with the better bras.  I pay $45 for mine.  I guess I was just under 200# when I started my plan, and it seemed okay.

Anyway, good luck iin your journey.  As you get going, we're all happy to answer any questions you might have.

Linn
Most Active