Marathoners...training question

Brian W.
on 2/20/09 2:26 am - Belmont, CA
For those who have run marathons....

I am Week 7 of my training plan and its going well, my run days are increasing though.  I feel like I'm getting slower.

My 6 to 8 mile times are anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes slower than previous marks in my half-marathon training.  I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not.

Maybe this is a good thing as I really have to slow my pace down to survive the marathon, probably looking at 12+ min per mile.

Any comments on what you experienced in your marathon training regarding your pace training?

Thanks!
Brian
~350
DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/20/09 3:11 am - Fort Worth, TX
I would not focus so much on your speed so much as I would focus on your heart rate. By building up your mileage slowly, your base will naturally increase. Once your base is built, you will naturally get faster over time... Just be sure to do some speed  training and hill work.  Also, be sure to allow for ample recovery time. Take care and good luck with the training...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Brian W.
on 2/20/09 2:57 pm - Belmont, CA
Thanks

Yea I guess I just have to reel myself back a little to get used to the mileage I'm putting in.  I do one Fartlek run per week, increasing the intervals each time, so hopefully that will be paying off.

100 days to go!

Brian
~350
Linn D.
on 2/20/09 1:29 pm - Missoula, MT
Brian,

Are you running more days a week this time around?  That may make a difference.

Another thing that comes to mind is post-workout meals.  If you're not eating enough soon enough, some of the later runs in the week may be that much harder.  Recovery is huge.

I do run slower doing marathon training than I did for half.  I think part of it is mental because you know you have to run a lot farther - even in training - so you want to be sure you can do it.

It's a whole new ball game, and I'm afraid you may not figure it all out until you finish the first (or second).

Do your best and take it as it comes. 

Linn
Brian W.
on 2/20/09 2:55 pm - Belmont, CA

Thanks Linn

I am running more days this week.  I just complete my first week of 4 runs in a row.  So I guess I just have to be patients with my legs to catch up. I will be running 5-6 days per week now insead of 3-4 as I did during my half-marathon training.

Post-workout nutrition includes a powerbar recovery bar pretty soon after my run.  Then usually i will eat a protein focused dinner along with some veggies if i have the energy haha (I run between 5 and 7 pm).  Is that on track?

Brian
~350

Linn D.
on 2/20/09 10:59 pm - Missoula, MT
Glycogen storage is something you can build on, but it has to be trained just like everything else.  If you continue to deplete it, your body will try to store more.  It just takes some time for the body to adjust.

As far as your recovery meal goes, if you've run less than an hour, one bar is fine, but you may need two after a long run.  Just be sure your meal is pretty soon after, which is seems like you do.  You may want to add some more carbs with your meal.  I eat withint 10 minutes and then have a meal an hour later.  Unless you're getting a lot of muscle soreness, you aren't breaking down muscle so don't need the extra protein for repair.  Athletes (which you are) require more carbs in their diet in order to maintain high function.  I know it seems contrary to everything we've learned about post-surgery nutrition, but you've moved beyond those needs and into a whole new realm.

You're doing great, Brian.

Linn
panhead58fl
on 2/24/09 12:02 am - Barboursville, WV
In Runners World Magazine I have read more than once that low fat chocolate  milk is a great recovery drink. It is suppose to have the right amount of carb to protein ratio. I always buy a one or two of the small 8 oz. bottles and keep them in the fridge specially for long runs. Usually the first thing I drink after a run.

pan head
Most Active