I think I may have finally found a plan to combat gastric distress during endurance exercises...

kypdurran
on 2/18/09 2:34 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Well after trying just about everything on the market from gels to peanut butter to raw honey I've finally found a nutrition plan that works for me.  It did involve a trip to the doctor to get a scrip of a med called Questran but that medicine alone didn't do the trick.   Questran is prescribed to individuals that have IBS and it's also used to maintain cholesterol levels.  I care about neither of those maladies.  I just want something that is gonna keep me from having gastric distress episodes while participating in long distance running / biking.  (I've yet to have an episode while swimming.  Heh.)  :)

Gastric issues during distance events / exercise can and will cause problems for individuals that don't have compromised digestive systems like most of us do.   Eat the wrong stuff pre-exercise or pre-race and you can guarantee to spend some time in the port-o-joys or running into the woods to sacrifice your socks.   Trust me when I say that I've been there and done that!

So, over the last coupls months I've been experimenting with different dosages of the Questran and other nutrition products when I go out for the long run or long bike.   The sweet spot seems to be a half dose (1 scoop) of Questran around 2 hours before exercise along with Pedialyte, gel gummies and pure honey.     I've been using Pedialyte for the last few months as my hydration and electrolyte replacement along with some cola gel gummies made by PowerBar that I picked up at Academy.   I also picked up some pure honey gel packs from Whole Foods that I use during the run.   Weird that I can't tolerate GU or any of the other gel packs but I can take in PURE SUGAR HONEY with no issues.  

The great thing about my new nutrition method is that over the last 3 weeks my energy levels during exercise sessions that last longer than 3 hours has maintained without even ONE instance of gastric distress!   For me, that's a milestone.     My diet right now is just as strict as my training regimin and I rarely stray from 'the plan' so I'm sure thats been helping to some extent but I'm really excited to finally have found something that WORKS! 

Chad
www.team464.com

Sherry_Berry
on 2/18/09 7:30 pm - Dacula, GA
Snort! I ran a half marathon and had my FIRST issue of emergency porto-potty. I think now I know WHY i had some issues, but nonetheless, CONGRATS!!! I now know how much it sucks running from can to can.

Make sure as the temps get warmer you adjust your plan as needed! I need to give michael folan from infinit a call. I need to reformulate again.

With that said, when GCT gets closer we'll exchange numbers. I think I told you my coachie is doing a free clinic for whomever the morning before the race.
Cassie W.
on 2/18/09 8:06 pm
Congratulations on finding the right formula to fuel your endurance events . . .

Now you're going to have to come up with a new cliffhanger for your race reports.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

saxman007
on 2/18/09 8:54 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Chad,
Really glad to hear that you found something, but man your race reports just aren't going to be the same!!!  I still laugh when reading about you needing to use your socks....I know, I know I'm going to hell for laughing at others distresses but it's a great story!
Question for both you and Sherry, do you have local triathlon coaches or are you guys doing an internet type coach?  I think I can probably make it through this season without one but weighing different options.
--Sax
kypdurran
on 2/18/09 9:39 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

I'm really lucky that one of my good friends is a Level II USAT certified coach.  He also wears the zebra suit as a certified USAT official at races.   He served as the strength coach for the LSU football team during the Nick Saban and most of the Les Miles era.   I actually do my run lactic acid threshold test at the football operations center weightroom which is REALLY cool since I am a big LSU football fan.   Within the last 4 years he transitioned into triathlon and has never looked back.   

He sends me my weekly training plan on Sunday night and calls me at least once a day to see how the workouts are going and to make sure I'm sticking to the plan.    He tests my lactic acid threshold on the run and bike every 3 months or so and then adjusts the intensity of my workouts accordingly.   My biggest problem is that I'm a chronic overtrainer.   I go too fast when I'm supposed to be going slow training at a specific heart rate / power level and that usually ****** him off.  He's not bashful and usually rips me a new one when I don't stick to the plan.  He also has me log every morsal of food and drink that I consume and we go over that every couple weeks as well.  That's helped me as well but once again when he sees my post-workout Reeses Peanut Butter cup on occasion that makes him a little cranky.   

I've seen vast improvements in all four events (transition counts too and yes, I train for it) since I started this crazy, addicting sport a year ago.   I find the coaching absolutely invaluable for anyone considering 70.3 or 140.6 multisport events.  I know people in my tri club that have used the online coaching services too and they have had success with them.  I just like the personal touch.   He does do distance training as well so if you want me to get him to get in touch with you with a training plan let me know.

Chad
www.team464.com

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/19/09 1:24 am - Fort Worth, TX
Good deal on finding what works...Knock on wood, I have never really had too much distress... In my training for my last marathon and this one, and even during, no problems... on my longer rides 50-75 miles, no issues either... It's weird how everyone's plumbing works differently. Anyways, I hope your training is going well... Sounds like it is intense, which is awesome. Did you ever decide if you were going to do Athens or not? I decided to do the St. Paddy's day Tri up here in Keller the same day, about 10 minutes from my house instead... Wife will be within 2 weeks of her due date and would rather be in our backyard if something happens, rather than 100 miles away. Hopefully, our paths will cross at some point this year. Keep up the great work and I will catch up with you soon...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kypdurran
on 2/19/09 4:32 am - Baton Rouge, LA

I'm registered for Athens.  It's my annual event and I can't miss it.  

We're coming to Dallas that Saturday after the race though.  Sunday is my long ride day so we can hook up for an EARLY ride on the 15th if you want.   I don't know anywhere to ride around the Dallas area anyway.  We're planning on doing the Six-Flags thing on Sunday too so that's why I have to do an early start time.  I'll be tapering for IMNO so it will be around 2 hours or so if that.  

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/19/09 5:16 am - Fort Worth, TX
Cool, there is a nice 35-40 mile loop I could take you on that we could meet at. It's about 20-25 minutes west of Six Flags. The park hours for the 15th of March are 11am - 10pm. We could do 7am and be done by about 9am and you could get back and shower and be off to the races. That would be cool. I will have my new Ordu by then. Getting fitted and ordered next week. Take it easy...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 2/19/09 11:13 am - Missoula, MT
Cool, Chad!

I've got an appointment with my doc next week about this same issue.  I'm looking forward to seeing what we can work out.

Linn
Most Active