Brand new to exercise - iPod help

Kristy A.
on 2/16/09 2:35 am, edited 2/16/09 2:38 am - South Burbs, MN
I'm about 8 weeks out from RNY, just bought a treadmill last week and have been on it faithfully for 15 minutes a day.  I'm increasing to 20 minutes/day starting today.

I really want to buy an iPod but don't know which to get. I'll probably only use it on the treadmill or on walks once nice weather hits Minnesota. (This JUNE)  I was thinking about the shuffle, but you can't select songs specifically with that one, can you? I dont know how you could since there's no screen to make a selection from.

Any suggestions / recommendations would be so appreciated.

And here's a dumb question, what does each song cost? Are there free songs you can put on the iPod?

Edited to ask:  Since I'm asking about gadgets, is there an inexpensive no-strap heart rate monitor out there? I'd really like to keep tabs on my heart rate, and hate the monitor on my treadmill and refuse to wear that chest strap.

Thanks!!

Kristy   (weight loss below does not include 16lbs lost during pre WLS diet)
START:  325                            Day of Surgery :309                          GOAL:  180

Vampi
on 2/16/09 5:05 am - Mandeville, LA
For Christmas my hubby gave me the iPod nano and that has worked out great!  It definitely holds enough songs, plus I can get podcasts (video or audio) of different things. 

In additiion, the iPod nano is compatible with the Nike Plus sensor which tracks your running/walking stats for you like your pace, distance, calories burned and it tracks it all online at Nikeplus.com!  Very very motivational.  I got one for Christmas with my iPod and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

The iPod nanos are about $150.  I don't think shopping around does a whole lot of good because they are really hard to find any cheaper than around $150.  Just go to Best Buy or something to pick it up. 

Go to nikeplus.com to check out out the Nike Plus.  You do not have to have Nike shoes for it to work.  You can order a little sensor pouch that attaches to your shoe strings. 

This is what I recommend:

1. iPod Nano  
2. Nike Plus
3. iPod Nano armband 
4. Nike Plus Sensor Pouch

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=US&lang_locale=en_US #l=shop,pwp,c-1+100701/f-4294965468/hf-10001+12003/t-Women\' s_Gear/pn-1

http://www.grantwoodtechnology.com/shoepouch/

I don't recommend the shuffle. It's made more for kids, in my opinion.

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Kristy A.
on 2/16/09 10:28 am - South Burbs, MN
Thanks for the recommendation! Just bought a nano this afternoon.  Will check into the other items as well.

START:  325                            Day of Surgery :309                          GOAL:  180

misstilly
on 2/16/09 8:50 am - Cosby, TN
I have the IPOD Nano with the Nike ID Plus.  I love it.  You can get gift cards for itunes and the songs on there cost $.99 each or if you have cd's you can load them onto your computer into Itunes, I do both.  I love the nike plus because it records your runs and times.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Kristy A.
on 2/16/09 10:28 am - South Burbs, MN
I like that two of you suggested the Nike plus, definately checking into it. Thanks!

Seht
on 2/16/09 10:00 am
FYI you can create your own interval songs using i-tunes.
You can set the songs to play for a desired period of time.  I really like this, because I don't like the techno crap that I find for all the interval training.
So if you are supposed to run for 3 minutes, then walk for 3 minutes, you can set the length of your song for that time.  It really helps me.  I find that I am not staring at my watch so much wondering if I am done or not.

If you right click on a song in your playlist and select options or get info it depends on which version of i-tunes you have.   From there you can choose the options tab and select the start and stop time for your song.  The song will only play that long.  It's a nice little feature.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Kristy A.
on 2/16/09 10:30 am - South Burbs, MN
That's a good idea to set up intervals w/ my songs.  Now just figuring all the cool features out.

Mom of 2 Cuties
on 2/16/09 10:49 pm - MO
Ohh! That's a great tip..I've just started setting up my running program and I don't like the techno crap either!
Thanks
Rob S.
on 2/16/09 9:13 pm - DE

I would suggest the Nano with the Nike+.  The Nano will track your runs, give you some inspirational messages.  I've had mine for over three years.
Rob

Seht
on 2/17/09 12:10 am
Sorry I let my crude interpretation of musical styles show through
Actually most of the time I don't even hear the music when I am running, I'm too busy thinking OMG I'm never going to make it.  What I do notice is the change in songs which clues me in to the interval change.

I think I need to put together a set of inspirational running music, something along the lines of Rocky and Chariots of Fire or something like that, with some mellow calming music for the walking parts.

So what do y'all like to listen to?  I know that some times while at the gym, I will turn the mp3 player onto the fm channel and listen to the news.  I find that more distracting from the monotany of running on the treadmill, mostly because the content changes, and I notice I pay more attention to that.  While music is just kind of background noise.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active