My First Half Report

victoria R.
on 2/16/09 12:54 am - goose creek, SC

Hello everyone,
I'm back from the Myrtle Beach & I'm proud to say I finished the 13.1.  The weather was ideal for me, cool, overcast and it didnt start raining until after I finished.  The crowd was huge with tons of volunteers and supporters.  I started out at a  good  pace and didnt stop at all until mile 4 to grab some water.  I didnt have any problems whatsoever until I got to mile 9 then my legs were starting to get really heavy so I stopped and stretched for a minute a continued on to mile 10 then I stopped for water & streteched out again.  Between mile 10 & 12 I was struggling and starting to slow down I actually ended up walking probably about a half mile as I was talking to a lady who still had to go the whole marathon distance at that point I knew I didnt have much further to go so I started running again slow and before I knew it I was coming up on the finish which motivated me to dig in  and I got the biggest thrill of hearing the announcer say my name as I finished.  My husband and youngest son got to watch me finish but I didnt see them it was so many people.  I met up with them a few minutes later.  As for my time I went in with the goal of finishing under 3 hours, I knew with my training and if all went well I should be able to finish around 2:45 my "pie in the sky "goal would have been 2:30, this is what I ended up with Finish time 2:48:01 Chip time 2:44:03 Pace was 12:50.  I was a bit upset because prior to the race I read over the rules which clearly stated no headphones, IPods, etc. so I did not have my Ipod however I saw loads of people with them and never saw anyone say anything to them.  I feel like if I would have had it I would have done a bit better timewise but it's good to know I got through it without it.  I got a great finishers medal placed around my neck from a Hooters girl, why can't they have Hooter guys??? I plan to do this same race again next year and hopefully at least 1 or 2 more halfs before then as far as a full yes eventually I would like to be able to complete the 26.2 but not quite ready to committ to it.
I have my first sprint tri coming up next month & some other 5ks, 8ks & 10ks I'd like to do this spring.  I thought about all of you during my run and how far I've come to do what I was doing & how much more I could be capable of accomplishing.  Thank you all for your support, encouragement, wisdom & advice. This is truly a great forum to be a part of.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/16/09 1:00 am - Fort Worth, TX
That is so awesome. Congrats on a huge milestone. You rock!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Elisa K.
on 2/16/09 1:12 am - Lumberton, NJ
Congratulations Vicki!!
Mifiremedic
on 2/16/09 4:51 am - MI
Vicki,

Great job on finishing your first Half Marathon. I look forward to hearing many more of your race reports, especially next months triathlon.

Curt
Vampi
on 2/16/09 5:10 am - Mandeville, LA
WOW!!!  I think your time is great!! I am so proud of you!    That is so impressive!

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Cassie W.
on 2/16/09 6:41 am
Congratulations Vicki!  Myrtle Beach must be an amazing place to score your first half marathon!  Enjoy the afterglow of a great race!

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

misstilly
on 2/16/09 8:54 am - Cosby, TN
Congrats on your 1st 1/2 great job.  I agree that this is a great forum.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Linn D.
on 2/16/09 10:18 am - Missoula, MT

Hey Vicki,

I'm so happy for you!  YOU DID GREAT!  That first one sure is a different experience.

I never run a race with headphones.  My guess is that the age group winners didn't wear them either, or they wouldn't get prizes.  They all know that and adhere to the rules.

Have fun at the tri!  Can't wait to hear about it.

Linn
Scott William
on 2/16/09 1:23 pm
Way to go Vicki.  Congrats on your finish.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 2/16/09 1:36 pm
Awesome job, I'm so happy for you.
That is an increadible job, and a great report.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active