Muscle weighs more than fat

JeremyGentles
on 2/24/09 12:02 am, edited 2/24/09 10:32 pm - Johnson City, TN
Can you clarify what Beginner's Guide says about someone gaining 40 lbs of muscle? That seems a bit off.

Also, I have covered similar issues in the past....below is a link to an article here on OH that you can check out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Click here.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

MacMadame
on 2/24/09 1:58 pm - Northern, CA
That link didn't work for me.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

JeremyGentles
on 2/24/09 10:34 pm - Johnson City, TN
Sorry...try now.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

MacMadame
on 2/25/09 2:59 pm - Northern, CA
That worked. You said some similar stuff in San Ramon.

However, I feel compelled to point out that just because the exercise group on average didn't lose more on average than the non-exercise group, doesn't mean anything for individuals. Statistics describe groups; they aren't predicative for the individual.

My personal experience has been quite different. Every time my weight loss has slowed down, I've kicked up my exercise and have been able to get my weight loss rate back to rise.

But I'm religious about recording my calories so I know I'm not eating more in response to exercising more (as some people do). Plus I do a lot more than 3x a week for 30 min.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

bombshellintraining
on 2/26/09 10:51 am - Port Orchard, WA

Hi Jeremy - Below is the article I was referring to... not really gaining 40 lb of muscle... but I think this will give you the gist. I don't take this as gospel by any means - just more info to consider - I read your article that you gave me the link to and it really helped put things into perspective, so thanks!

Shari

Walking as a Primary Form of Exercise

email to a friend printer-friendly version

by Richard Betcher, M.D.

...Unfortunately, every morning you wake up, fat metabolism is again shut off. It requires a daily effort to get it turned back  on and that is accomplished again by a two-mile walk. Also, covering less distance does not get it started. Your body needs to sense enough continuous stress activity that the walk produces to finally turn on that part of the metabolism. In other words, if you only walk one mile, you are only burning glucose. By the time you get to two miles, your body starts to change its metabolism and it starts to consume fat. That fat metabolism continues on after the walk is finished for anywhere from four to eight hours. Much of the other activity you have during the day will continue to have fat metabolism tied with it and you will continue burning the one material you most desperately need to get rid of.In following the lead body mass of our patients over many, many years, we have found that many people present themselves with thirty to forty pounds of muscle deficiency from becoming very sedentary because of the obesity and other problems associated with it. The only way to get the muscle back is to do an adequate amount of exercise to replenish those thirty to forty pounds.

Shari M.

Most Active