Muscle weighs more than fat

bombshellintraining
on 2/14/09 10:23 am - Port Orchard, WA
I wonder if someone could shed some light on this. I read the Beginner's Guide for exercise and fitness, and I understand that with a person just starting out, there is an average gain of 40 lb of muscle mass and a lot of 100 lb of fat. But what about for someone who's nearly a year postop, has been fairly physically active since surgery, but is now "stepping up" the program and really focusing on daily strenuous exercise? That would be me. Since surgery, I've lost about 140 pounds, still have about 60 to lose to reach goal, but I seem to have been stuck just above 200 pounds since last September. I got off track a bit with my eating, but that is back under control - consuming about 1000 calories daily, protein intake and water are both where they need to be... the only difference now is my increased physical activity. I'm working out 6 days a week 1 to 1-1/2 hours (1/2 to 1 hour of cardio (treadmill and bike)... heart rate is in target range, working up a good sweat... last week I started with weight training (large muscle groups)... will add small muscle groups next week.

My question is... what can I reasonably expect to see as far as muscle mass gain versus fat loss with this regimen? How much (an educated guess will be fine here) muscle weight can I expect to gain before I break even and start to see fat loss (measurable by decreased numbers on the scale)? I've been working out at the Y for a month now, but still no additional weight loss. 

Any input would really be appreciated.

Shari M.

Linn D.
on 2/14/09 11:04 am - Missoula, MT
I don't have a good answer for you about that, but one thing you could do it focus more on body fat percentage.

I have access to a Tanita impedence scale that measures body fat%.  It's not completely accurate, but pretty close.  If you are able to get on one of those and check every couple weeks or so, you'll be able to see the fat loss even if there is not total weight loss.

It's all in the clothes.  That's how you'll know it's working.

Take care,

Linn
bombshellintraining
on 2/14/09 3:09 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Thanks Linn - I think I'll do some reading on body fat percentages to see where I should end up.

Shari M.

Zeldarin
on 2/14/09 2:26 pm - IN
I agree with Lynn.  Clothes can really tell you the story.  I have been working out at the Y as well.  My 6s were getting snug, they are not tight anymore but I haven't lost any weight, actually gained a few lbs, I am seeing the transfer happen.  Not sure how long til I will see a downward trend but I will let you know!  Z....

HW/SW/CW/GOAL
217/206/145/136
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda April 8th/2010
Mini AL, Mini TT, Medial TL, BA, Lipo

bombshellintraining
on 2/14/09 3:11 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Thanks Z - here's to downward trends!

Shari M.

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/09 4:12 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
muscle and fat weigh the same. A pound of each both weigh a pound. Muscle is more dense and occupies less volume. You're starting to figure out that scale weight, at a different point for everyone, doesn't mean as much as others are suggesting body fat %, BMR, etc. does. It's sort of a cop out to suggest but your tipping point of muscle/fat is going to be unique to you, your cir****tances, etc.

I know that scale weight, maybe body fat% heck maybe your pace, placing, times completing events becomes important and there are of course ways you can eek out ever pound, every ounce of fat, every second. I don't really get into that. I've finished dead ass last and enjoyed those events more, met more friends/people and have found more motivation than anything before or since.

I'm getting a little off the reservation. Just keep trying to improve and diversify your exercise and nutrition. It's okay to reach a point of consistency and moderation as long as that's also filled with variety and enjoyment.
bombshellintraining
on 2/15/09 9:54 am - Port Orchard, WA
Thanks Mike - lots of good info!

Shari M.

Mariah
on 2/16/09 3:23 am - Richmond, IN
They said on the biggest loser show last week that muscle wting more than fat was hog wash!!!  That its something people use to lie to themselves when they arent living up to what the results they want.  OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT!!!

This is my favorite site for Healthy Recipes

http://www.bakespace.com/loginjoin/invite/8491

This is my favorite online site for shopping

http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=190995

MacMadame
on 2/24/09 1:59 pm - Northern, CA
On February 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM Pacific Time, Mariah wrote:
They said on the biggest loser show last week that muscle wting more than fat was hog wash!!!  That its something people use to lie to themselves when they arent living up to what the results they want.  OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT!!!
I don't consider The Biggest Loser to be the best place to get accurate WL info, to be honest.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

mcarthur01
on 2/16/09 5:41 am - Cumming, GA
I guess I don't get it.  You proved yourself that muscle weighs more than fat in your reply by saying that muscle is more dense.  i.e., if you take the same volume of fat and the same volume of muscle and weigh them, then muscle will weigh more.  The issue is that people say, 1 lb of muscle is heavier than 1 lb of fat, that is a logic error, because 1 lb of car is still the same as 1 lb of q-tips.  So muscle does weigh more than fat because it takes up more space/volume per lb.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active