Walking shoe help

Kristy A.
on 2/10/09 8:08 am - South Burbs, MN
I'm about 8 weeks out from surgery and just bought a treadmill. I need comfy pair of walking shoes and wanted to ask what the most important things to look for as far as fit goes.  I have big ole size 11-12 WIDE feet and it seems like when I get a shoe that is comfy enough up front, my heel slips in back.  If I go a size smaller, my toes feel crammed or rub.   Any suggestions on what to look for fit wise before I head out shopping would be so appreciated.

Kristy   (weight loss below does not include 16lbs lost during pre WLS diet)
START:  325                            Day of Surgery :309                          GOAL:  180

Linn D.
on 2/10/09 10:19 am - Missoula, MT
I would truly send you to a running store and have someone fit your shoes to your gait.  Comfort is important too, but not more important to having the right shoe for your feet.  I was in one type of shoe until someone looked at how I walk and run and put me in another type.  I haven't had any trouble with my knees or feet since then.

Linn
Kristy A.
on 2/11/09 1:18 am - South Burbs, MN
I tried searching for a running store in my area, but couldn't find one.  There is a "specialty" shoe store which does carry athletic shoes, so maybe I'll start there. 

START:  325                            Day of Surgery :309                          GOAL:  180

MacMadame
on 2/10/09 1:52 pm - Northern, CA
Also look at shoes that are wide in the front and narrow in the back like your foot. I am walking in Under Armour cross-trainers which I picked because they are shaped exactly like my feet on the outside. I've also had good luck with Reeboks.

I'm going to get some real running shoes soon and I'm interested to see what they recommend at the running store.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Kristy A.
on 2/11/09 1:18 am - South Burbs, MN
I'll check out the Under Armour cross trainer, thanks!

Scott William
on 2/11/09 12:28 am
I agree with Linn.  Hit a running specialty store.  They won't let you leave unless you are in the right shoe.  They might cost upwards of $125 but you will truely feel like you are walking on a cloud.  It's well worth the cost.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kristy A.
on 2/11/09 1:17 am - South Burbs, MN
Thanks Scott!

Most Active