New to working out

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/09 4:08 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
I am just beginning to work out and feel kind of confused at the gym. I mostly do cardio on the treadmill and the stationary bike. Can anyone recommend what machines to use to tone and build some muscle so that I can burn more calories while resting.
Scott William
on 2/9/09 7:27 am
I would start with the legs simply because they are probably already strong from carrying a lot of weight around.  If they have a leg press machine, its a good place to start.  Also, the chest and arms are good size muscles.  Some dumbell presses and bicep curls are good. 

Are there trainers at the gym?  My gal just joined a gym and they gave her a free training session.  If someone was there to help it would be nice.  Other gyms have machine orientation and if that fails any guy would be thrilled to be asked if they know what a particular machine does.  Ego boost and all.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 2/9/09 11:45 am - Missoula, MT
My gym offers a complimentary orientation on all the circuit training machines.  They also offer occasional classes about things you can do with some free weights on a stability ball.

If all else fails, look at some classes that are offered that look like they might be fun.  We have Zumba, yoga, pilates, and all sorts of water aerobics.  Most gyms offer enough things so there's generally something for everyone.  Try a few things out and see what you like.

Linn
Most Active