Swim Clinic!

MacMadame
on 2/8/09 6:57 am, edited 2/8/09 9:08 am - Northern, CA
I attended a swim clinic today. It was supposed to be from 11 am to 12:45 pm with some time set aside for lecture and to go over our video tapes. But I was in the water from 11:15am to 1pm.

I'm exhausted, but in a good way.

We did a lot of balance exercises. Plus my video tape showed that everything I'm doing is wrong. Well, not everything... I'm getting better about not lifting my head and the timing of my stroke is okay. But I don't swivel my hips, I'm not doing the right thing with my hands and you can't even tell my legs are moving because they are so far under water.

Oh and I'm still a lot fatter than my mental image of myself. But that's not new.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Mifiremedic
on 2/8/09 7:27 am - MI
Sometimes asking for help is the most difficult thing to do. haha....

I know exactly what you mean about all the things needing improvement. I found my legs coming up once I had my head in the right position. I imagine having a tennis ball wedged between my chin and neck, and that seems to help keep my head in the proper position.

Seek all the help you can when it comes to swimming. Cant get on the bike till you complete swim..
MacMadame
on 2/8/09 9:09 am - Northern, CA
I am really glad I signed up for this clinic. I was afraid it would be over my head but it's been really helpful.

I think swimming is the most technical of the 3 sports and just doing laps would not have gotten me very far because of all the stuff I'm doing wrong.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 2/8/09 9:14 am
your mental image is smaller? isn't that the opposite of most post-ops?

I kind of have it both ways. sometimes I can't believe how thin I am and sometimes I seem huge. hard to tell what's real.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

MacMadame
on 2/8/09 12:37 pm - Northern, CA
Yeah, my mental picture is smaller. I know that's uncommon.

It works out great for me during weight loss though. It's maintenance where it's not so good. It's so easy to fool myself that I don't look as bad as I do and so those 10 lb. I gained really don't matter.

Linn D.
on 2/8/09 11:04 am - Missoula, MT

Sounds like it was a great clinic.

I have a lesson coming up the end of the month to have someone check out my stroke.  There are some things I know, but I don't have a good idea of what I look like.  Good information to have because if you can do it well, it's that much easier on you.

Linn

dogma2karma
on 2/9/09 6:33 am - Suburbia, CA
I really want to take a swim clinic, to.  I am looking at the Total Immersion program.  Would you recommend the one you took?
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
MacMadame
on 2/9/09 5:02 pm - Northern, CA
I would recommend it. It's great for someone who knows the basic strokes but isn't necessarily doing them right.

But it's only open to members of my Triathlon club. You could join though.

dogma2karma
on 2/10/09 1:14 am - Suburbia, CA
 Ha, ha. In my dreams!  I think I am going to try one of the local TI clinics maybe this summer, but first I want to get a little further on the 5K and century fronts.
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
MacMadame
on 2/10/09 12:36 pm - Northern, CA
Oh, just do it!

I'm going to do a 5k in March. I think of the St. Patty's Day one in Dublin. It's part of an Irish Festival so there will be fun things for my family to do while I am running.

Want to enter with me?

Most Active