Ouch

Seht
on 2/7/09 12:17 pm
So I decided to take my son for a bike ride today.
I also figured it would be a good time to finally put on the the new pedals and try out the biking shoes. They had been under my bed for over a month.   Well that lasted for about a block.

My son crashed his bike, and I stopped real quick to check on him.  Well in my excitement to stop for him, I of course forgot to clip out of the pedals.  Damn first time on the bike with the new set up and I  fall.  I guess I don't have to wait for that first 0 mph fall.

At least I had enough time to throw myself under the bike and roll so that I didn't drag the bike on the ground.  Bike nice and clean, big knot in my thigh where my wallet was.

Should be a nice bruise tomorrow.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Mifiremedic
on 2/7/09 8:03 pm - MI
Ha Ha.. Scott, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.

I had a similar episode the first time I went out on my first bike ride. I had gotten about 3 miles away from home when I had to stop at a stoplight. I thought I'd just reach out and grab a sign, without unclipping. Well, yup, I missed the sign and couldnt get unclipped in time. I managed to fall right over like an idiot. The only thing bruised was my ego, I suppose.

Curt
Sherry_Berry
on 2/7/09 8:45 pm - Dacula, GA
knock on wood! I have yet to fall!
saxman007
on 2/7/09 11:48 pm - Port Huron, MI
On February 8, 2009 at 4:45 AM Pacific Time, Sherry_Berry wrote:
knock on wood! I have yet to fall!
 No fair!!!!

This summer I was about 20 miles out of Seattle and was going down some back country road.  Approaching an intersection and I haven't seen a car for ages.  As I come to the intersection I don't bother clipping out -- didn't expect to need to come to a stop, At the last second I see a car coming on the road I'm about to turn to and need to stop suddenly -- down I went, lol.  I think the most embarassing thing was the fact this was the only car I saw for about 20-25 minutes.  Oh well, happens to the worse of us;)
--Sax

MacMadame
on 2/8/09 7:11 am - Northern, CA
I haven't fallen either but I'm also still in toe clips.

I didn't want to learn a new technique when everything else was new. This is my first road bike (they take so much more finesse than a mountain bike!), plus since the last time I bought a bike, there have been some big changes in the shift levers.

But I'm not sure I made the right decision. I did a group ride yesterday and the clip-less pedals actually looked easier to use than the toe clips!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 2/8/09 10:42 am - Missoula, MT
I was so worried about this thing happening that my clips are on pretty loose.  I need to fix that soon because at the one race I used them on, my shoe came out of the clip.  Kind of defeats the purpose of having clips so you can pull up!

Linn
Most Active