Saturday workouts

Cassie W.
on 2/7/09 1:07 am
Good Saturday morning to everyone!

Today was an hour spin class, followed by a 3.5 mile run.  Then I met with my new running coach to outline a training plan for the Vermont City Marathon.  He bases his plans on running 6 days out of 7, so I'll be abandoning spin classes for a while and incorporating more strengthening, core work and pylometrics to help improve my running efficiency and protect me from injury.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

goat
on 2/7/09 2:04 am - NC
I did an hour spin class. The instructors is really tough and she kicked my butt! But it was great and I'm loving the cycle shoes.
Mifiremedic
on 2/7/09 2:14 am - MI
Cassie,

I did 6 miles this morning with my Half Marathon group. It was a balmy 45 degrees this morning. Wasnt feeling very good this morning so ended up doing the 6 miles in 1 hr 4 minutes. I had to walk some the last 2 miles. Hopefully I'm coming down with the "crud".

What is your coaches theory on running 6 days/week? Is one day off, enough rest? Curious to hear more about your run coach.

Curt
Cassie W.
on 2/7/09 10:37 pm
Curt,

My coach is building my volume of running so that I'm averaging 35-40 miles of running per week.  I'll have two quality runs (distance & speed intervals), plus 4 easy days.  He'll be working with me to lengthen my stride, improve my speed and teach me to prevent the marathon shuffle so typical in the final miles of the race.

Converting to a 6-day running plan is going to be challenging for me from a scheduling perspective, but I have some aggressive time goals this year.  By the end of the year, I'm hoping to have earned the break throughs necessary to qualify for Boston.

If anyone can help me get there, I think he can.  In 2006, he won his age group (50-54) at the Niagara Falls International Marathon with a time of  3:00:58.

Here's week 1 and 2:
Monday - 2 miles
Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 3 miles
Thursday - 5 miles (sprints)
Friday - 2 miles
Saturday - rest
Sunday   - 1.5 hours

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 4 miles
Thursday - 6 miles
Friday - 2 miles
Saturday - 2 miles
Sunday - 10 min warm-up; 2(1 mile @ 8:30 with 3 min jog recovery); 10 min-warm down.

Cassie

victoria R.
on 2/7/09 11:42 pm - goose creek, SC

I had a 5k race and I'm waiting for the official results, just hoping I beat my previous 5k time.  I am anxious to improve my times as well however I'm still very new in the game here.  Keep us up to date on your new training plans.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Mifiremedic
on 2/8/09 1:50 am - MI
Vicki,

Be sure to let us know how you did. Unoffically how did you do?

Mifiremedic
on 2/8/09 1:52 am - MI
Cassie,

Thanks for sharing the knowledge of your running coach. Thinking I will go back to running 5-6 days a week, with one of them being a long run.

May I ask, what 5 miles (Sprint) is?

Thanks for the inspiration.

Curt
Cassie W.
on 2/8/09 5:46 am
Curt,

This week the 5 miles (sprint) are a 10-minute warm-up with variable pick-ups - fartleks - followed by a 10-minute warm-down.  He didn't set a specific number or pace this week.  I'm excited to have someone working with me and I'm happy to share anything I learn.

Cassie

Stephan B.
on 2/7/09 4:40 am - Holmen, WI
I did 50 minutes on stationary bike for a total of 15 miles followed by 1 mile run.  My legs felt like puddy.
Sherry_Berry
on 2/7/09 5:19 am - Dacula, GA
I went out to do 7 and only got in 6.

Mile 3 I had to go into the woods b/c the poopy monster attacked me!

Fudge.

So.

Miles 5-6 I walked most of...I made it to mile 4 ok...then the attack felt like it was a comin' back!

Most Active