Running and Nutrition Question

Linn D.
on 2/4/09 4:02 am - Missoula, MT
I'm in the minority here and don't tout protein.  We have needs, but I barely eat the minimum.

That said, the way I look at is our muscles need glucose to perform.  We get that glucose from stored glycogen either from the liver or the muscles.  If you dont' eat many carbs, you aren't going to store glycogen as readily especially in the liver because it's working so hard to use the  protein.  Your body WILL make some from protein, but it's not an efficient process and you won't make as much.

I always eat a small meal that is about 4:1 carb:protein about 30 minutes or less after a workout.  The research shows that's the best time and proportion to store glycogen for the next workout.  Before I learned this I was good for one or two days, but by the third I had no energy and my legs felt like lead.

There are a lot of good resources about running and nutrition.  I get a lot of mine from Runner's World.  I'm more into improving my speeds and performance at this point, so some of these nutritional articles are really helpful.  By the way, most of the carbs I eat are from whole grain breads, fruits, and veggies.  I eat some Odwalla bars after a workout, but I check the label for the right proportions.

Not sure if I helped much, but that's my position.  I now think of myself as more of an athlete rather than someone who is post-WLS and try to eat as such.

Linn
Most Active