15k Race Report

victoria R.
on 1/31/09 9:44 am - goose creek, SC
Hello Everyone
I had my first 15k today.  Not a very big race 800 people, there was also a 5k option which was more popular.  It was cold and a little windy at times but the sun was out.  I started out fairly close to the start line and I get very anxious running with everyone but it didnt take long for people to spread out.  The first mile was challenging, I wish I would have warmed up more but only did some stretching. I started feeling good mile 2 and was running good and slowed down to a walk around mile 5 to take my jacket off and pop a cliff block.  I started running again and  my feet started to hurt at that point I remebered I forgot my "just in case advils" so I tried to put it out of my mind.   I was really hurting and didnt know how I was going to manage to finish but kept going anyway. Coming up on mile 6 my friend Tamara was there waiting, she'd already finished her 5k, I told her I was having a hard time with my feet & she offered me her socks & low and behold there was a little white bench in someone's front yard so we stopped and she gave me her socks and I was happy to have them.  The transition took about 3 minutes because I had gotten some spurs on the socks and had to get them off (just my luck).  So she ran with me for about another minute or 2 then she said she'd see me at the finish.  I made it to 7 & the socks were helping, right before mile 8 my soles were starting to hurt again so I stopped and walked about 2 minutes, popped a block, grabbed some water and was off again.  I really wanted for it to just be over, I guess after about a half mile my feet were screaming and I had to stop & walk again which isnt how I wanted to finish a race but they were just hurting so bad.  Finally I could see the finish so I just said ok we gotta get to the finish so I started running and didnt stop till I finished the clock said 1:55 don't remember the seconds & the results arent posted yet but that's my time & at that point I didnt care. I immediately took my shoes off, Tamara grabbed me some water & I was just pacing around with my socks but it felt good & I was just so glad it was over.  I have been warned not to try anything new on race day & that's what happened, I got some of those Yankz for my shoes & they were laced too tight & I wore thinner new socks not to mention the course was old rocky type roads so I suffered through it and it was a lesson well learned. 

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Elisa K.
on 1/31/09 9:50 am - Lumberton, NJ

Yikes - sounds like a tough race, but you finished!!  Congratulations!!

Soak those tootzies, and maybe treat yourself to a pedi - you deserve it!!

Cassie W.
on 1/31/09 10:00 am
Congratulations pushing through those challenging miles with sore feet.  You crossed the finish line and that's all that matters.  What a great friend to give you her socks!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MaryS
on 1/31/09 11:50 am - Long Island, NY
Congratulations on your determination and finishing the race. Great job!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 1/31/09 12:53 pm - Missoula, MT

Way to go Vicki!!!

I know it's rough when you have a hard race and things aren't going well, but you FINISHED!!!

Great job Vicki, and I'm with you on lessons learned.  The tough ones teach you the most, but each one is a learning experience all it's own.

Take care of yourself and know the next one will be better.

Linn

Seht
on 1/31/09 2:10 pm
Awesome job, congrats.

What a way to tough it out.  It's not like running isn't hard enough, but you fought through real pain and managed to succeed.

Congrats on your success.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Mifiremedic
on 1/31/09 9:10 pm - MI
Vicki,

Congratulatons on completing the race even if you had to overcome some tough times.

I am a firm beleiver of NEVER trying ANYTHING new on race day.

Thanks for sharing your report with us.
Scott William
on 1/31/09 10:09 pm
Way to go Vicki.  Nice job in percivering through some tough times.  I've tried new stuff on race day and sometimes it works out and sometimes you crawl across the finish line.  It is about learning for the next race.  You will get smarter with each one.  Way to go!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
misstilly
on 2/1/09 12:06 am - Cosby, TN
Great job Vicki for running thru the pain.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Rob S.
on 2/1/09 12:56 am - DE
Great job, Vicki.  Isn't it a great feeling to finish a race.
Rob
Most Active