Question about walking/running

Amanda L.
on 1/29/09 11:38 am
I am just beginning to exercise.  Been walking on my treadmill 3-4 times a week for the last 4 weeks.  I have been walking about 30-45 minutes at a pretty good pace.   I am trying to boost up what I am doing some and did 60 seconds of running then 90 seconds-2 minutes of walking back an forth for 30 minutes-then a 5 minute cool down.  Thought I was gonna die--I am very out of shape and I admit that--but i did it!  Anyway, question is I have been done for about 2 1/2 hours now, but my chest still feels kind of heavy when I breathe and I keep coughing.  Did any of you experience this when you started exercising and do you think it is normal?
Brian W.
on 1/29/09 2:45 pm - Belmont, CA
Hmm that does not sound too normal to me.  I would call your PCP and get checked out, maybe something cardiovascular going on that needs to be addressed.  Are you asthamtic at all? Or a case of exercise-induced asthama. 

What speed were you going at when you were running?

Brian
~350
Amanda L.
on 2/1/09 9:53 am

Hi Brian,
I was only running at 5.8, I have short legs so that is a run for me!  I have never had asthma or anything like that, and I am not coughing up anything, just a deep dry cough. 

Anyway, I have an appt for a physical scheduled, so I will just bring it up to my doc...I just didnt want to sound like an idiot when I did!

Thanks for the advise.

Mandy

MacMadame
on 1/29/09 4:04 pm - Northern, CA
All the times I tried running before this, that happened to me. I was hacking up stuff from my lungs, I think. Anyway, I was overdoing it.

This time I tried the Couch-to-5K program and I didn't have that problem. The running is going much better and I'll probably get up to the full 5k in a few more weeks.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Amanda L.
on 2/1/09 9:56 am
I had looked at the C25K stuff so and that is what gave me the idea.  Not actually "doing the program" just trying to increase my endurance...

I am not coughing anything up, just a dry cough.  It just helps to know someone else experienced the same thing. 

Thanks!
Most Active