Hmmm...

Dirk M.
on 1/27/09 9:09 pm - Atlanta, GA
So,

Started the year off with a very strict workout routine.
Basically 30-40 minutes cardio
30-40 minutes weight training
5-6 days a week
I change up my weight training routine everyday so to keep the body confused.

Problem is, haven't lost a dern thing all month.
Pretty sure I'm seeing results though, clothes loosening up.   Body parts slowly starting to develop.   Especially arms / chest.

So question is, do you really replace fat with muscle that quickly?  Where the scale would not move at all.

Surgeons:  Dr. Blackstone (Arizona), Dr. Ponce (Georgia)
Pre-op weight close to 500lbs
Surgery weight 471
Current weight 232
My new goal 200 in July 2012 
Experts goal 185 (Probably never).   Already had my Plastic Surgery, it went great.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/27/09 11:29 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Fat does not replace muscle. You have to gain one and lose the other. My questions would be.... When you do cardio... Are you working within your targeted heart rate zones allowing you to stay in an Aerobic or Fat Burning state, or are you going to the gym and going as fast as you can and are left completely out of breathe, which is Anaerobic activity which DOES NOT burn fat, only carbs? Also, you should only work each of your major muscle groups only 1 time per week. It's important to let your muscles fully recover before trying to work them out again. Also, the good news is you are seeing the results in the mirror and in your clothes... Who cares what the scale says. And just an fyi..... Muscle weighs 3 x more than fat. Keep up the great work!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Dirk M.
on 1/29/09 8:36 pm - Atlanta, GA
Actually, I think I was saying Muscle replaces fat doesn't it?

As for cardio... hah..  I never do anything crazy fast.   I'm old.. knees still haven't caught up to training yet.    I place it on about 3.3-3.4 and stay that route throughout.    Heartrate I guess is around 129-135.

I might have to plan my weight training out a little better, but for the most part it ends up being like that.   Working specific body parts each day.    Sort of seperate the gym into like 5 sections and do just those excersises after the cardio.

Actually the good news, is the scale finally moved this week.    Been about a 1lb a day.

Surgery weight 471
Current weight 232
Experts goal 185 (Probably never).   Already had my Plastic Surgery, it went great.

Deanna34
on 1/28/09 3:41 am - Salem, OR
Hi Dirk!

It sounds like you're doing the right thing ... and great job, by the way!  I've heard that your body holds onto water when you've recently started a new routine so maybe that is the issue?  Are you drinking enough water? 

Hang in there!

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Dirk M.
on 1/29/09 8:37 pm - Atlanta, GA
Yah,
Ugh on water, but I do it. 
I use to drink my 64oz a day with no problem..   But now the taste of plain water makes me gag.    But I get it down!    

Thanks!

Surgery weight 471
Current weight 232

Sherry_Berry
on 1/28/09 4:58 am - Dacula, GA
Hi!

Just wanted to give you a wavey!

I live in Gwinnett!

-Sherry
Dirk M.
on 1/29/09 8:36 pm - Atlanta, GA
  right back at you.
Surgery weight 471
Current weight 232

Most Active