No weights? No one told me

Tishi65
on 1/25/09 11:41 am - GA
I was just told a few days ago that I should stick with just Cardio for the first 7-8 mths.  No weights/machines. Not supposed to be building muscles.    I have been working out for over a month and have been working the machines hard as well as treadmill and elipitical. 

Do you think I messed up my progress...?

The only thing constant,...     is  change!
Seht
on 1/25/09 11:53 am
No, No, No.
I made this mistake.  If you don't work on building lean muscle, you will lose it.
You don't have to do power lifting, but you should deffinitely do weight lifting/resitance training as soon as your Dr. clears you to lift.

With the rapid weight loss I experienced, I lost a lot of muscle as well, and now it's a hard process trying to gain it all back.

A nice combination of the two cardio and resistance will see you through much better than just picking one or the other.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Tishi65
on 1/26/09 2:20 am - GA
Thanks...  I am totally confused.  My thought pattern was that I could build muscle while doing the cardio and not have to have quite as much plastics (hopefully) . I really like the machines so I am going to keep doing them but work harder on cardio as well.  I was just told that I am working against my tool (RNY) by using the machines so early out.

Brian W.
on 1/26/09 3:01 am - Belmont, CA
Not sure who told you that.  If it was a doctor, maybe they had a reason, but if it was anyone else, then they didn't have an idea of what they were talking about.

A mixture of cardio and resistance training will enhance your progress, not impede it.  Unless you wanna become a female Arnold then there might be issues haha.

Brian
~350
Tishi65
on 1/26/09 3:06 am - GA
Nope... not a MD.  Just a well meaning member (6-7 yrs out). I have an appt on Tuesday with my surgeon and I was going to ask him.   I'm going back to working on these arms and legs tonight LOL

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/09 5:42 am - CA

Muscle helps burn more calories at rest and aids in the protection of your bones and ligaments. Muscles act as shock-absorbers when an individual suffers a blow to their body (either during sports or Motor Vehicle Accident), something most people take for granted.

I am a 30 year old, active almost to goal RNYer whom was rollerblading on 1/1/09 and fell smack dab on my butt and ended up fracturing my sacrum. Fracturing your sacrum is pretty rare occurrence esp. from falling (according to my doc). Everyone kept saying, well you hardly have any padding there that's why you broke it. Yeah I lost most of my padding, but I didn't spend time building up muscle and therefore my saggy but was injured :)

So do cardio as well as weight lifting to speed up your metabolism and help protect your bones and ligaments from injury.

Melissa

MacMadame
on 1/27/09 8:11 am, edited 1/27/09 8:12 am - Northern, CA
Whoever told you this is wrong.

If you listen to Jeremy Gentles at an OH event, he'll tell the opposite and he's got data to back his opinion up. You need to do strength training to build up your muscles.

Cardio is for endurance and it's got its place (especially for those of us training for endurance sports), but you need the strength training when you are losing weight.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active