Saturday workouts...

Mifiremedic
on 1/23/09 11:19 pm - MI
Well day #1 of the Borgess Run camp as a tool towards a Half Marathon in April, and ultiamtely the Half Ironman Triathlon in August.

I signed for the group that ran a 9-10 min/mile. I truly thought that was what my pace was. But when I arrived to find the other people in my group, I definately felt out of place. Many of them have done multiple Half Mary's and some even multiple marathons. I felt like I was in the Major leagues when I should have been in the Pee Wee league. But I was too scared to back out and go to a slower group. I guess it was my ego getting in the way.

Well we (the pros of the group) decided on a 9.5 min/mile for I think 6 miles. I knew I was in the wrong group, but once again still too proud to back out, and admit defeat.

Well we set off, and I hung for the first mile on a 9.5 min/mile, but knew I couldnt go 5 more miles at this pace. Luckily 2 others decided the same thing and we slowed down to a 10 min/mile, and agreed on doing 4 miles. Our reasoning was "Lets not kill ourselves on the first day".

So we ended up doing 4 miles in 39' 25", and at our comfortable pace. We talked about moving to a slower group, but decided to use the challenge of the elite in our group to push us, and then doing what we feel is comfortable for us.

Come on lets hear how your Saturday is going.

Curt
Deanna34
on 1/24/09 12:18 am - Salem, OR
Hey Curt!  Awesome job!  You are really inspiring ... keep up the great work!

I'm heading out to the gym right now ... I will do 45 minutes of weights in the weight room.  Then I will go to a 1 hour class called Group Active which is a combination of step aerobics, weight training, and balance and flexibility. 

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Elisa K.
on 1/24/09 12:35 am - Lumberton, NJ
Hi everyone!!
Got my 4 mile run out of the way early!! 
Aims
on 1/24/09 3:45 am - Whiteman AFB, MO
2 mile run this morning, I want to participate in the 5k here next month, yippee!!!!

Amy

Amy

Cassie W.
on 1/24/09 4:09 am
Curt,  this camp sounds like a great opportunity to make some amazing leaps in your running pace this year.  Just don't let ego get in the way of listening to those warning signs that you're pushing too hard.

I guess I'm a winter wimp this year.  Last year, it didn't matter what the temperature or conditions, I was outside embracing the elements.  This year, since I have the gym membership, if it's frigid I'm inside.  So, on the 10-degree morning, I was nice and toasty doing a 1-hour spin class and a 5-mile run on the treadmill.

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Mifiremedic
on 1/25/09 2:51 am - MI
Cassie,

I decided my weaknesses were swimming and running; and wanted to spend lots of time on those two disciplines during January, February, and March. And no better way to do that than joining a Run Camp in preperation for the Half Mary.

Oh and by the way, I got a private couch, and what a huge improvement in only a couple sessions.

Stay safe,

Curt
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/24/09 4:21 am - Fort Worth, TX
What 70.3 you looking at in Aug? 

I am with the others about training indoors when it's frigid, especially after this morning's run. Got out to the trail at 7am the plan was 12 miles at 10:00 pace.... Well, with wind chill, it was in the teens, and this warm blooded fool from California doesn't respond too well to that, especially when he gets to the trail and realizes he forgot his gloves!!!! My son had some mesh Spiderman gloves that I used, but after I started sweating a bit, the gloves got wet, then about turned to ice... I honestly believe I was close to frostbite on my hands. So, we cut the run short and only did 8 miles at 10:03 pace and avg heart rate of 138. I then went to the gym and swam 1000meters.... Thats all for today. I hope everyone has a great weekend...

-Dan
www.trimywill.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Mifiremedic
on 1/24/09 5:24 pm - MI
Dan,

I am planning on doing Whirlpool Stealhead HIM on August 1st.
Sherry_Berry
on 1/24/09 4:22 am - Dacula, GA
Curt-have fun at camp!

I ran 8.5 in the rain. I ran faster than I wanted to, but didn't totally kill myself.
Mifiremedic
on 1/25/09 2:47 am - MI
Sherry,

Thanks, I think it will be just what I need to keep me motivated, and the women are cute as well. WHoops, did I just say that out loud? ha ha

Hows that Ironman race report going?

Curt
Most Active