Marathon

NewYearNewTood
on 1/23/09 2:03 am
Hi, I am usually over on the lap-band forum....I want to run a marathon. I am going to start slowly so I don't blow a hip or knee or something...I have been a runner in the past... 11 years ago I ran a 10k.  Any advice on getting started? Thanks in advance!
misstilly
on 1/23/09 2:38 am - Cosby, TN
Start slow, Find a good training program and work that.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/23/09 2:51 am - Fort Worth, TX
I would say start with the Couch to 5k program... (Google it) Then, I would focus on increasing your distance no more than 1 - 2 miles every other week. Let your body becoming slowly acclamated to the increase in distance. My humble opinion... I wish you luck, finishing a marathon is an awesome accomplishment!

-Dan
www.trimywill.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 1/23/09 7:52 am
Some local running clubs have beginner programs.  Ours has a training program for a popular 15K race.  I built my foundation with their 23-week program that started with a walk/run philosophy for the first 4-6 weeks.  By 6 weeks, we were able to run 3 miles continuously.  We gradually added about a mile a week.  With the base of the 15K under my belt, I started an 18-week marathon training program.

Hal Higdon has training programs posted for various distances for novice, intermediate and advanced runners:  http://www.halhigdon.com/#5-k.

My best tips for new runners:
- Get fitted for a good pair of running shoes
- Join a running club/training program to find potential running partners
- Don't get hung up on your time.
- Be sure you include stretching, strength training and core work to prevent injuries.

Good luck,
Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active