RNR AZ Race report

Linn D.
on 1/20/09 11:43 am - Missoula, MT
As many of you know, I wasn't nearly as prepared for this event than I had wanted to be and was very nervous about doing it.  In fact, I nearly bagged it and did the half except that my family was all there and expected me to do the full.

So I get up early on Sunday at 4:15 - before the alarm went off.  Strange thing, though, I notice a bunch of bumps all over my legs as soon as I get to the shower.  So after everyone else gets up I asked my dad for some hydrocortizone cream just in case.  We leave the house in time to make it downtown Phoenix by about 6:30, which is good.  We stopped at the potty and then got some water and salt then off to check the gear bag with my phone and a T-shirt in it in case I need them at the end.  Off to wait in the potty line one more time before the start.  This year, though, I made it to my corral BEFORE the starting gun.  In my haste to get ready, I forgot to get some gels just in case I didn't see people before I needed one.

So the race starts and we're all off and running.  I see the mile markers and up until mile 4 (first potty stop - all of 8 minutes) I was going at about 10-minute miles.  Because I needed the potty so soon and for so long, my family thought I was long gone by the time I reached mile 6 and we missed each other.  I was getting worried and upset when I still didn't see them by mile 7, 8, or 9.  I really was in need of a gel or something, and there was no one to be found.  Another potty break or 2 and they finally see me at mile 12.  I told my mom that it was really hard this time and was thinking to myself that I just wanted to be done and go home.  But after some cliff blocks and a little water, I was on my way again.  This time, though, I had my husband put some gels in my shirt pockets.

I decided I'd take a gel every 3 miles, so at mile 15 I took one, and shortly after that I realized I'd probably be able to make it through.  Saw the familiy again around mile 17 and reminded them (and myself) that this is farther than any of my training runs this time around.  I get one more replacement gel and another round of hugs and off again.  My hips were really bothering me, so it was really hard to start running again, but since I was being watched, I had to.  I ended up walking a fair bit after water stations because I knew how painful it was going to be to start running again, but, of course, I did eventually.  I was walking a lot more than I wanted to, which was a little depressing.

I don't remember when I saw them again, but right around mile 26 when I was almost done was the last time.  This time I knew it was almost done, and ran to the end and raised my arms high as I crossed the finish line.  I was SOOO happy to be done!

So, my time was 5:29:10.  Slow, but still about 6 minutes faster than last year with more potty stops and walking.  I'm still a little upset about how it all went with the training, and I know that if I'd had all the long runs it would've been much better.  I'm pretty sure I have a 4 hour marathon in me, but it's going to take a better mileage base than I had this year before I start training.  Maybe not even next year, but hopefully within the next 2.

It's funny.  I'm still a little sad about how it all went, but also very happy I still finished.  I still don't know how I did it even that little bit faster with worse training.  All I can say is I know my fitness was good because I really don't remember ever breathing hard.  It was mostly the pound (and potty breaks) that caused the problems.  More lessons learned, and still looking forward to the next one.

Take care, and I'll be on the boards more often soon.  Thanks for reading my report.  And for the record I FINISHED THE HARDEST RACE OF MY LIFE!!!

Linn
saxman007
on 1/20/09 12:03 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Great report and Congrats on a great marathon!  Always a great accomplishment!

--Sax
Linn D.
on 1/20/09 12:10 pm - Missoula, MT
Thanks Sax.

You'll be back in it, too, before you know it!

Linn
Cassie W.
on 1/20/09 12:37 pm
Congratulations Linn!  Getting to the finish when your training has been compromised is an accomplishment in itself.   What a nice bonus to knock 6 minutes off your last time! 

Like you, I think there's a 4 hour marathon in me, but I've recognized that only part of it is within my control.  Marathon training is a big commitment that can get sidetracked by all the other things that life throws at us.  One of these cycles, our training will be in sync with the perfect or near perfect marathon conditions.  Until then, we keep running for the fun of it and celebrating every finish.

Our marathons may not always be perfectly executed, but the medals are always well deserved.

Take care.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 1/21/09 11:44 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks a lot Casie.  I know that you of all people know what it's like, and you're right, the medals at the end DO mean something - especially when the going's rough.

Linn
Elisa K.
on 1/20/09 8:32 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Congratulations Linn!!  How awesome that you dug deep, and finished!! 
Linn D.
on 1/21/09 11:45 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks Elisa!

Yeah, I'm glad I kept going as well.  It means a lot to have finished this one.

Linn
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/20/09 8:47 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Linn,

Great job on finishing and improving! After completing a marathon you truly understand what people mean when they say it is 70 % mental after mile 18. Way to push through and finish. Rest up and go get your 4 hour marathon girl!

-Dan
www.trimywill.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 1/21/09 11:47 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks Dan!

Actually for me, it was more than 70% mental since I was ready to be done at mile 12!

We'll see what next year brings, but I'll rest this week and get going on tri training.  I'm already entered for the one in April.

Linn
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/21/09 11:36 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Awesome!!! Is it a Sprint or OLY?
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active