Question.

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/09 10:19 pm - LA
I'm working out alot, but when I add up the numbers it doesnt seems so. I spent two hours in the gym yesterday but only (cardio) burned 267 Calories. Which took me about 45 mins. The rest of the time I spent on the weight machines. I'm trying to tone up as well as lose the weight. I've heard from a dear friend that I cant burn more calories than I'm taking in due to burning muscle instead of fat. Do yall know if this is true? I'm only taking in around 400 calories so I feel as if this 267 is a "safe" number but should I bump it up, because if so thats no problem! lol.

I just need some imput if you all dont mind! =]
Mifiremedic
on 1/20/09 1:52 am - MI
wjoegreen
on 1/20/09 1:59 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Your friend means well but is only partially right. 
Your body will burn muscle tissue for protein only if you are not taking in enough to give your body what it needs.  So the solution is to get your target amount of protein (WLS post-op 40-60gm a day minimum; athletic standards - 1 gm for every pound of target body weight); get your water in to keep your kidneys flushed (to prevent kidney stones from the protein intake) and to stay hydrated; then do your exercise program at whatever rate your body can stand and progress at the levels you are able. 

This means when you are at a calorie deficit (burning more than you eat per day) but you are getting the protein your body needs, you force your body to burn stored fat and that is the target.

Your body can also use the protein and water to build and repair muscle tissue.  Complex carbs are also good and work similar to protein whereas simple carbs are easily converted to fat like sugar and fatty foods if not used right away.  Protein cannot be converted to fat and stored, your body either uses it or passes it. 

If you are not taking in enough protein for your work outs, you will probably have or start experiencing extreme fatigue - a signal you need more protein, iron, or B-12 or any combination.

Hope that helps.

Joe 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/09 2:08 am - LA
Thanks for all the info Joe!!! I was able to understand that and it was very helpful!!! 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/09 12:36 am - Fort Worth, TX

Yeah, 400 cals is way low for intake! I found as I was dropping weight the more I ate (Within reason) combined with increased activity led to quicker metabolization and much more rapid weight loss. Also I would try to stick within your aerobic zone regarding heart rates when you are doing cardio. When you are in the Aerobic zone, you are burning fat, when you are anaerobic (Real High Heart Rate) you are burning carbs. It's ok to have a deficit, but make sure you are getting in your vitamins, supplements, and especially your protein... You are doing great!!! Don't be a stranger.

-Dan
www.trimywill.com

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/09 4:47 am - LA
Thanks Dan! I'm only 11 wks out, its still really hard to make myself eat more than that! lol. For instance today, I had a medium Gladiator from Smoothie King 50g of Protein and I had a Multivitamin added. I havent had anything else today,excep****er, but I still have dinner to go. I'm definatly making sure to get all the vitamins and supplements (if you read my profile you'll really understand why I'm anal about this) so that nothing bad happens to me. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt burning my muscles cause I need them!!! haha

Yall dont post too regularly on here do yall?
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/09 5:31 am - Fort Worth, TX
Yeah we do, just a bunch of folks still getting back into the swing of things in the New Year and also a bunch of folks returning from the Disney Marathon. Stick around and you will find great inspiration!

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active