Exercise and Surgery???

carebare
on 1/19/09 2:18 am - Canada
Hi everyone,
I started seeing my surgeon Sept 29/08, since then I've lost 27lbs (15weeks).  I've been excercising ALOT (about 4 times per week for cardio & weights) and I usually swim once or twice a week.

I don't know how anyone can survive (calorie wise) on 1200 calories per day while having a busy workout schedule.  I'm thinking of the lapband procedure, but I'm not 100% sure yet.  I have concerns over the calorie limitations.

Can anyone offer any advise? 

Thanks in advance.

Seht
on 1/19/09 2:27 am
Well the good thing about the surgery and the reduced pouch size is that you won't be able to eat as much, and probably won't feel like it after your first band fill.

I didn't have the band, I had a RnY, so I'm not an expert on the surgery that you are thinking of having, but my calorie intake the first 2 weeks after surgery was almost non existant.  It's hard to get any calories on 1/4 cup of broth and sugar free popsicles.  And you know what, I didn't miss the food hunger wise.  Sure I craved food, things still make your mouth water, but I never had that hunger in the stomach feeling. 

Currently at a year out, I'm still only eating 1000-1200 calories a day.
Some days I have more, and some days less.  It really depends on what you are eating and how calorie dense it is.

Have you asked your question on the lap band board, you might find some more answers there as well.

Best wishes and I hope you get some helpful answers.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

carebare
on 1/19/09 2:41 am - Canada
thanks Scott, I appreciate your posting an answer. 

MacMadame
on 1/19/09 6:50 am - Northern, CA
I eat about 800 calories a day. I work out 6 days a week for anywhere from 45 min to 1.5 hours. I have lots of energy!

However, I do eat more protein than the average bear. I aim for at least 100 g a day. That seems to make a difference in my energy levels.

Remember, you have stored energy in the form of fat. That's what we are mostly living off during the weight loss phase. Obviously, if I had no stores of fat, only eating 800 calories a day and working out like this would put me in the hospital.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

carebare
on 1/20/09 2:27 am - Canada
Thanks for the post MacMadame.  So what happens when you're at goal weight and you need to eat more to maintain your excercise/fitness level??

MacMadame
on 1/20/09 1:06 pm - Northern, CA
I'll eat more carbs!

At least that's the plan. I also won't restrict myself quite as much. I already had a couple days like that over Dec. where I went to parties and deliberately ate more like I was on maintenance and found on those days my calories could get a high as 1000 without even trying. If I did that for 3 meals instead of one, I think I could get up to 1500 which seems about right for my height (short) and my activity level (moderate)

I'll also be able to eat more in the next couple of month as my sleeve relaxes so that will up my calories too. Whether I want it to or not!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active