lazy lazy lazy

zimra
on 1/18/09 6:00 pm - not in USA, Israel
I am almost 4 months out lap VSG and lost about 50 lbs.  My weight loss has slowed down considerably and I have at least another 40 to lose.  Anyone have any advice that will help me get off my butt and start moving?  i just cannot bring myself to exercise! Am I the only one with this problem?
kck1765
on 1/19/09 12:46 am - hemphill, TX
I am having the same problem!!  I am 5 weeks out and have 30 pounds....I keep saying "I'll start walking tomorrow" and that was 5 weeks ago..lol.
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/19/09 1:23 am - Fort Worth, TX
Many of us folks here on the Excercise & Fitness board find motivation from one another, so stick around. Others find motivation within themselves. Just as you identified a reason to have WLS, you have to identify the reasons why you should excercise and get moving. Statistics show that those folks who do not augment their behaviors and begin implementing a more active lifestyle are those that unfortunately do not enjoy long-term success with surgery. There are many shinning examples of people who just made a decision to dream big and make things happen here. A handful of people just completed The Disney Marathon last week... Cassie who went through many complications due to an injured hip, Rob, who at over 50 years old just finished his first 26.2 mile marathon, Scott who is a maniac marathoner. Sherry and AJ who have both completed multiple Ironman Triathlons, Chad who was a raging maniac and finished something like 20 triathlons last year, and so many others. I am 12 months post op and have completed a full 26.2 mile marathon in under 5 hours and am scheduled for 5 Ironman events this year and just swam 6.2 miles this past Wednesday to celebrate my 1 year surgiversary. I doubt any of us enjoyed excercise when we first started, but now it is part of who we are and what we want to be. Look in the mirror and realize you had surgery to change your life, so change it, reap the benefits of a healthy active lifestyle, and be amongst the numbers that enjoy continued long-term success as a result of Bariatric Surgery. Good Luck in all that you do...

-Dan
www.trimywill.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 1/19/09 2:22 am
Exercise doesn't have to be treadmills, weight benches and elliptical machines.

I recommend you find an activity you like to do.
Indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball.
Going for walks, window shopping in the mall.  Anything to get your body moving and your blood flowing.  The more you do it, the easier it will become.

It may not seem like it at first, but if you can find an activity that is fun and gets you moving, before you know it, you will be exercising.

You do need to find some self motivation, you let someone cut you up and rearrange your body, I'm sure you didn't do it just for kicks.  Your future health, the lives of your family, kids, significant others?

I don't think the exercise ever gets easy, but if you do it long enough, it becomes habbit.  I still don't enjoy it, but you know what, I feel better when I do it.  If I miss a couple days, I start to feel sluggish and unmotivated.  The exercise really helps with the overall feelings and energy that I have.

Please keep coming back here and letting us know what you are doing.  Share every little success.  Set yourself a goal, and tell the world about it.  Make yourself accountable.
Set a date as well.  Pick something little, like I'm going to walk a mile without stopping and I will do it by this day next month.  Then set yourself another little goal.  Keep building on it.  You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

victoria R.
on 1/19/09 2:22 am - goose creek, SC
The hardest part is getting started, once you start you will like the way you feel afterwards. I ALWAYS feel better after working out and trust me I still have days when I don't want to work out but I force myself to do it and I always feel so much better. Just get up and start moving, walk, dance, join a gym, find a motivated excercise partner, get a dvd just start moving now and then take it from there. 

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

zimra
on 1/19/09 6:00 am - not in USA, Israel
wow
thanks all u guys - OH is the most wonderful thing in the world.
I will try to start setting some goals.
zimra
MacMadame
on 1/19/09 6:44 am - Northern, CA
I agree with Seht!

Find something you like to do and start small and work your way up. It could be taking dance lessons or figure skating or joining a volleyball or softball team or just taking walks in the neighborhood. Maybe you are a more of a solitary person or maybe you like the camaraderie of classes. Figure out what works for you and start doing it.

So many people go to the gym because they are "supposed to" even though they hate it and start out gung-ho 3-4 days a week (again because they are "supposed to") and then a month later are nowhere to be found. That doesn't work.

I started to the gym in Aug and was only going 1x a week. I did the stationary bike because I loved it. I gradually built on that and now I work out 6 days a week, doing stationary bike and treadmill as well as running and biking outside. I'm going to be starting a Masters swim class soon and I'm training for a triathlon.

Before that, I figure skated for over a decade. I did both because I thought they were fun, not for exercise's sake.

You can pick up the exercise bug, just like we did. But start where you are at and build up gradually and pick something you think is fun, so you'll stick with it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active