Cardio workout plan

Don M.
on 1/16/09 8:47 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi folks -

First time posting here...trying to get into the whole gym thing, and to be completely honest I don't hate it the way I used to but still don't love it.  Been going for about 6 weeks, now, and it's still not habit but I'm sticking to it while my willpower is still up and trying to get this ingrained into myself.

So the question I have is that right now, 10 weeks out from surgery, I'm doing about 30 minutes a day, 4 or 5 days a week of eliptical.  On top of that I'm doing 2 days of weight lifting with a trainer each week.

Does anyone have any suggestions on my cardio workout?  Is 30 minutes on an eliptical enough?  My heart rate is usually about 130-140 range according to the machine, i'm burning about 430 calories each time, and going 1.75 to 2.0 miles each session.  Should I be doing more?  I see some people on this forum doing an hour.

Any suggestions?  I can't really see myself doing spinning or taking aerobics classes - too social for me at this point, and I'm still too self conscious.
MacMadame
on 1/16/09 3:24 pm - Northern, CA
You are were I was at 10 weeks. I did recently move up to 45 min. workouts. I actually think it was too big a jump. I probably should have started with 35 and worked my way up. But I'm impatient.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Elisa K.
on 1/17/09 12:07 am - Lumberton, NJ
Welcome!!
The most important thing is, you are exercising!  It looks to me like you are right on track.  Just listen to your body - if you are feeling good at the end of 30 minutes, go a few more.  As the weight drops off, you will find exercise a little easier, and dare I say it - almost enjoyable!!

Keep doing what you are doing!!  Good luck!!
Most Active