Ipods? Allowed or not allowed on races

prek-3
on 1/15/09 3:08 am - Hollywood, FL
O.kay gotta ask! I love using my ipod for workouts, and I coudn't help but notice when I did my 5K in Disney I saw lots of peope with there ipods on. I thought they do not allow that (at least that was what I saw on my paper work when we signed up). I understand why they don't want you to. But personally I'm sure I am not alone on this, it sure helps me keep a pace easier.
So is it allowed or not???
Prek-3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Linn D.
on 1/15/09 6:25 am - Missoula, MT
I've seen it both ways.  The people who are competing to win, generally don't wear them.  I don't see the really good runners wearing them during races even though they do when they train.  I also know a few who never use them.

If the race packet says they aren't allowed, I wouldn't use one.  I'd hate to do the race and get disqualified for having one on!

Linn
Cassie W.
on 1/15/09 7:13 am
USA Track and Field amended its rule in December to leave the decision up to race directors.  However, they're against the rules for athletes competing in championships.  Here's the link to the USATF position.  http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUID=USATF_2008_12_22_10 _22_16

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Rob S.
on 1/15/09 9:20 pm - DE
I always travel with my ipod.  Even if I'm not listening to the music, I use the Nike+ to record my times.  I have only encountered a few, mainly cross country runs and dualathalons, where the ipods are forbidden.
Rob 
Elisa K.
on 1/16/09 12:42 am - Lumberton, NJ
I think it is generally frowned upon, but not something they seem to enforce.  I've run in 7 5K's - wore my ipod in 5 of them - no one ever said a word.  I think I run better to music - I think too much without it.
Sherry_Berry
on 1/16/09 10:46 pm - Dacula, GA
YOu guys...Cassie is correct. You can use them per USATF rules of race director's decision.

Most will allow them.

At a triathlon you will get penalized/DQ'd.
panhead58fl
on 1/18/09 3:57 am - Barboursville, WV
I have only participated in one local race the advertised no mp3 players and such. On the day of the race the director anounced that the "rules" say they could not be used, but no one had ever been or would be disqualified for using them.

pan head
(deactivated member)
on 1/23/09 2:11 am
For biking, I know that the MS150 does NOT allow any kinds of headphones. You have to be able to hear directions from other riders about passing and traffic. When I am training I only wear my right ear of my headphones to leave my left ear open to hear other riders.
Most Active