Sunday's 8K (4.9mles)

panhead58fl
on 1/12/09 4:49 pm - Barboursville, WV
Sunday I ran in the second of a three part winter series of races. Jan. they had a 5K, Sun. was an 8K and in Feb. a 10K. You have to do all three races to get gloves and a sweat shirt.

Sunday was cloudy and 31 degrees. I wore some Nike Pro tights under my shorts, long sleeve winter base layer, tech t-shirt and a long sleeve Mizuno 1/4 zip top that I got for xmas. My sister-in-law's future husband bought me the top and told me I could wear it and just a t-shirt and stay warm. I had my doubts. When I first got out of my car and went to check in I thought Ted is crazy. I was cold. I put on my gloves and toboggan and went in. It has something called Breath Tech or something like that. It says it turns sweat into heat. Again, I was doubtful. Went back to the car and about 25 minutes till I started to do my warm up, walked for half a mile and then jogged for about half a mile and the increased the speed for another mile. Went by my car for a piece of gum and back to the start line with 2 or 3 minutes to go.

I started the race closer to the front than I normally do. Ended up about right. I think there was 190 or 200 runners. I have ran longer races so I wasn't worried about the distance 8K (4.9 miles). The one thing I didn't do was have a plan. Usually when I start a race I have an idea of how fast I want to start and what pace I want to maintain. Sunday I really didn't think about it. So.... I kind of got caught up in the moment and started out way to fast. I keep looking at my GPS and I was running at a 7:00 minute mile pace. Way to fast, I tried to slow down and I would for a little while. I would get down to 9:00 min mile and the next thing I would be going faster again. I think part of it was I fell in with a group and we were running at a steady pace.

The first race the 5K was an out and back. This one was out and back and then out again, then back, a straight shot to the finish. The first couple of miles wasn't that bad. Mile three I really wondered if I hadn't screwed up, mile 4 was really hard but I just kept telling myself not to stop just to keep moving. The last mile or .9, I had to keep telling my self to keep picking them up and putting them down, it was really hard. Finishing time 41:04, which came out to a 8:16 pace. I have ran 5K's that fast but the extra 1.8 was tough.

On a side note the top worked great. I could have done without the tech t-shirt. I ended up unzipping the top and shedding the gloves. Once I stopped and cooled down then I had to put on warm up's I had with me. Works great while running though.

What I like about this series is that it has given me something to look forward to. Feb 11 is the 10K. My plan for it is to start out at 9:00 pace and mainain that. We will see, but I do have a plan!

pan head
victoria R.
on 1/12/09 9:26 pm - goose creek, SC
Great job.  Thanks for the details it really helps me when I read what everyone else does for races.  I'm just starting out so I need all the info I can get. 

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

panhead58fl
on 1/16/09 6:09 am - Barboursville, WV
Thanks Viki, thats the main reason I post my reports. I have learned a lot reading other peoples posts here. Somtimes what to do and other times what not to do.

pan head
Linn D.
on 1/15/09 6:18 am - Missoula, MT
Nice race, pan head!

You're a pretty fast runner, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could keep an 8:30 pace for the full 10k.  Something to think about, anyway.

Sounds like a pretty neat series.   Here's to gloves and a sweatshirt!

Linn
panhead58fl
on 1/16/09 6:21 am - Barboursville, WV
Thanks. I have done some longer runs, 12 to 14 miles, where I started out that fast and trailed off near the end. My longest to date is 18.5 and I maintained a 10:00 pace the whole time. So 8:30 might be a good goal. I ran a 10K race last June and did 58:59, 9:30 pace in it and was totally shocked that I got under an hour. I have a lot more miles behind me now.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that I have only been doing this for just a little over a year and the guys who are finishing at the top of my age division at these races have most likely been doin it for years and years.

pan head
Most Active