Question for the Long Distance Runners

Elisa K.
on 1/12/09 1:55 am - Lumberton, NJ
I am training to run the Phila Broad Street Run (10 miles) in May, and possibly the Phila Marathon in November.  I have a very competitive mindset.  Obviously, I am not going to win a race (far from it!!) but from the first day I started running, I have it in my mind, that I must run the whole distance I have planned to run that day.  There have been a few times in training when my body said "no way" and I had to walk the rest of the way home, but for the most part, I am able to run what I set out to run (I am currently up to 6 miles).  I am working on a weekly mileage buildup training schedule - I will switch to the marathon training schedule in June. 

My question - is it unrealistic the think that I would be able to run an entire marathon?  What is your strategy for longer races - do you run, walk/run? 

I would appreciate to hear your experiences.  Thanks!!
kypdurran
on 1/12/09 3:04 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Elisa,

First, congratulation on your goals to run the 10 miler and the marathon.   They aren't easy tasks but with some training, heart and determination the sky is the limit and you'll have no problems reaching your goals.

There's no shame at all in having to walk.  The most important thing you can do is listen to your body.  Your body will tell you when it's had enough and you have to make adjustments accordingly to avoid injury.   If walking is part of that adjustment then that's what you have to do.    When you recover then run again.   Before you know it you'll be at the finish line and   everything before that point is trivial. :)

Best of luck on your journey.

Chad

Elisa K.
on 1/12/09 9:48 am - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Chad.  I know there is no shame in walking, but I am stubborn, and put a lot of pressure on myself.  I am smart thought, and don't want to get hurt.  I will (and do) walk when I need to,but I really hope to acheive a level of fitness that will allow me to run the whole thing.  I think that would be awesome!
Brian W.
on 1/12/09 4:11 am - Belmont, CA
I agree with Chad

No shame in taking a walk break if needed.  Once I pass 10-11 miles, my hips start to give me some issues.  I think pacing better earlier in the race will help, so that's what I will work on in my long training runs.

In my 2 half-marathons last year, I walked through some of the water stations to drink and get a little rest.  Then once I hit 11 miles, I really had to dial back the pace.

I'm adding hill sprints to my workouts, the book I'm reading recommends them as a way to increase leg strength.

I think paying attention to pace would be number one.  The longer I run, the slower i gotta pace myself so I don't burn out

Good Luck

Brian
~350
Elisa K.
on 1/12/09 4:30 am - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Brian. 

I am consciously working to control my pace on the longer runs.  I run about a 10:30 mile in a 5K - I have been trying to slow that down to a 12 minute mile on my longer runs.  I also train with a heart rate monitor, and try to stay within my target range.  I guess we'll see!!
saxman007
on 1/12/09 8:30 am - Port Huron, MI
 Congrats on the running!  I say sign up for the marathon and go for it!  I that as I was adding miles I often had to do some walking once I got past my previous longest run.  When I did my 18 mile run I was able to do all of it with no breaks and was planning on just running the complete marathon.  However once I got there and started going with the pacing group we were often a little ahead of the pace and were able to walk all the water stops.  One of the things the runners I've known suggest is that you at least walk the water breaks (and these are 3:15/3:30 marathoners).
BTW, if you're at 6 miles you're probably ready to start a marathon/half-marathon training program.
It's one of the best things I've decided to do and hoping that I can do 1 in the spring + 1 or 2 in the fall and the goofy challenge next January.
--Sax
Elisa K.
on 1/12/09 9:43 am - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks for the advice, Sax.  I am actually doing the first part of a two part marathon training program.  The first part is the mileage buildup schedule (17 weeks to build up my stamina) then I can start the actual marathon training.  It works out perfectly for the marathon in November.  I think I am just going to go for it, and sign up when registration opens in April.  If I sign up for it, I have to train for it, and run it!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 10:04 am - Island Heights, NJ
Elisa,
Just to play a little Devil's advocate here... From my experience, once I give in and start walking... I'm cooked.
I just cannot get back into the running groove. Yes, I agree that there is absolutely NO SHAME in walking (and I have done it on numerous occasions), but, for me, I really need to make sure that I can't run another step before I walk... Because there ain't much running in my legs after I stop.

I tend to play the little mind games with myself: "If I can make it to the next intersection, I'll slow down a bit until the next telephone pole!"

I have noticed that my need to walk is probably 95% mental. If I tune it out or redirect my thinking, I can usually break through that wall.
The trick is realizing when it's that pesky 5% Phyiscal reason for walking.

Elisa K.
on 1/12/09 8:30 pm - Lumberton, NJ
I am the same way AJ - once I start walking, I am done - there is no running afterward.  I have to be seriously hurting to stop running.   
Sherry_Berry
on 1/12/09 10:05 am - Dacula, GA
Nutrition is key! I'm talking during training. If I run over 10 I usually take a get in there. everyone is different tho!
Most Active