If I Can, You Can...Please Read

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/11/09 5:23 am - Fort Worth, TX

Well, here we are almost 1 year post-op. I decided to write this today, seeing as I am here all day, and am not working out or going to work, and my 1 year surgiversary is on Wednesday, so here it goes...

This picture was taken a couple days after surgery, probably on January 16th, 2008 just after my Gastric Bypass. I weighed 400 pounds, wore 56" pants, 5XL Tshirt, and size 22 dress shirt. My surgery went so well, Dr. David Kim really took good care of me, and I had no complications....(Knock on wood). After a couple weeks of discomfort, I went back to work and was well on my way to losing the weight.

After just 30 days post-op I had lost almost 60 pounds and was ready to start moving and get into the gym. I remember going up to the second floor of the gym where all the cardio equipment was located, and was so intimidated by all the fit folks there, and by all these machines I had never used before. I went to the treadmill, set the speed at 2.5 MPH and barely lasted 10 minutes before I was out of breathe and my heart rate was in the 170's. Here's where I was 1 month post-op...

Month 2, 3, and 4 came and as my body began adjusting to the rapid weight loss, I was able to do a more considerable amount of excercise. I was able to go for a 30 minute session on treadmill with some jogging sprinkled in, change was taking place, but I did not even anticipate where I would be taking my level of fitness to until a few more months down the road. Here is where I was at at 4 months post op....

Once I hit the 5 month post-op mark, a light went off in my head. I actually started to believe that I could become an athlete, and after the light went off, I registered for a Sprint distance triathlon that would take place in September 2008. Here is my 5 month pic...

As I hit month 6, I really saw the inches start to fly off, and my endurance was growing by leaps and bounds. Here is what month 6, 7 , and 8 looked like in order...

At this point, 8 months post-op, I was feeling like I fit in, that I was on my way to being a normal size, that I was just like everyone else, until I completed my 1st Sprint Triathlon. After I finished my first Tri, I realized I was a better athlete than a lot of "Average people" I finished 2nd in my division in my first Tri 2nd out of about 30 and became absolutely addicted to the Sport of Triathlon.... Here are some images from my first event...

Next Photo

After the Tri was over in September I immediately went home and searched for the next event I would register for. It was in October 2008, The Monster Tri in Keller, TX around Halloween. I worked even harder at the gym and outside on my run, bike, and swim. I ended up taken 7th in my divion, but there were double the athletes and I was competing against several people who had finished Full Ironman Tri's. I improved my time by over 20 minutes from the month previous, and was so excited about the direction my fitness level was taking me. Here are some pics from October...

Next Photo

I would spend the next few weeks training super hard, then I started to think BIG. I thought hey, I bet I could finish a marathon. An interesting thought considering my longest run to that point was probably 10 miles or so. I came to a decision that I was going to do it. I registered for Dallas Run The Rock Marathon....26.2 miles of happiness! It was on December 14th. In the meantime, I trained, and trained, and trained. My pregnant wife and I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving morning, my son ran the Gobbler Trot, and I then ran a 10K after all that. Here are some pics from that...

So, after I finished the Turkey Trot, training for the marathon became intense. I would do  my long training runs on the weekend and I am so thankful for my family who, although missed me during my long training, understood how important it was to me. I did this all for them. I had no events between the Turkey Trot and Marathon, but here are some pictures from 11 and 12 months post op...

These pictures lead to my pinnacle of 2008, running a full 26.2 mile marathon only 11 months post-op from 400 pounds. Words cannot describe the sense of pride and accomplishment I experienced crossing the finish line in well under 5 hours, mainly because nobody realized how hard I worked to get there except me. My training for the marathon also kept bringing the thoughts that I could do anything. So after believing I could finish a marathon, I then believed I could finish a FULL Ironman Triathlon! A full Ironman consists of 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile marathon. Finish in 17 hours or less, and you are an Ironman! I went to discuss this with my surgeon, told him of my plans, and he believed in me so much, he sponsored me for all my events next year. Before I talk about 2009, here are some pics from the marathon...
I Am A Finisher...26.2 Miles Ran

As for 2009, here is what I am registered for: Feb - 26.2 Mile Cowtown marathon   March - Sprint Tri   April - New Baby Coming  May - Orlando, FL 70.3 mile Ironman   June - Lubbock, TX 70.3 Mile Ironman  August - 140.6 mile Ironman Louisville, KY  Sep - 70.3 Mile Ironman Augusta, GA   Oct - Austin, TX 70.3 Mile Ironman  Dec - 26.2 mile Run The Rock Dallas Marathon. My schedule is so crazy, but I am so excited.

My hope is that everyone who takes the time to read this can begin to believe that anything and everything is possible. I am living proof that a 400 pound man can go from Super Morbidly Obese, to an elite athlete in less than a year, and not suffer any restrictions or limitations as a result of Bariatric Surgery. This is your year to shine, make every moment count and never doubt yourself or your abilities. Anything IS possible, if you work hard enough. Good luck in the new year and throughout your life.

-Dan Benintendi
www.trimywill.com

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

prek-3
on 1/11/09 8:53 am - Hollywood, FL
WOW Dan!
What a journey!!!!! Congratulations! You rock!   I just completed my first ever 5K (I am a walker), and after reading this and what Chris just posted about his experience, it's so motivational! Can never get enough of that!

You hear about some WLS patients who gain their weight back, I am hoping that I will stay motivated  and have me wanting to do more races that come my way. My husband sighed us up for a 5K through ESPN Innaugural Marathon weekend at the end of February.  April I will do another one, but it will be local, Then  in Oct. the Susan G Komen Cancer 5K in Orlando through Disney  and 1 week after that one, Race for the Taste (Disney's Epcot) 10K!!!!

Thank You soooooo much for posting,
how wonderful to know you will be around for your boys!!!!!
Prek-3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

MacMadame
on 1/11/09 10:16 am - Northern, CA
to you. Thanks for posting that. It's so inspirational!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Nic M
on 1/11/09 1:23 pm
WOW!!!  You're like a... poster boy... for WLS and working out!   You just have to have people not recognizing you ALL the time.  You look like a different person.

Congratulations to you. Your family has to be thrilled with Hubby/Daddy's success.

Nicci
Sherry_Berry
on 1/12/09 12:21 am - Dacula, GA
At work so no time to type much...I'll write more later...YOU ARE A TRUE ROCKSTAR!!!
Most Active