Goofy Challenge Report

kypdurran
on 1/12/09 1:33 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Great job Chris!  Sounds like a great race and a great experience.  Congrats!
Chris S.
on 1/12/09 10:52 pm - SC
Thanks! Although it looks like I might lose a toenail in all of this-I go to the Dr today, really bad blood blister under one toe--it was sooooooooo worth it.

Congrats on your accomplishments. I follow your reports-truly inspiring. If swimming didn't scare me so much (from a skills perpsecive-not a water perspective) the 1/2 ironman would be my next venture. Right now I am thinking 50-miler........after the toenail comes back
Seht
on 1/12/09 1:53 am
Wow, congrats, I'm glad everything went so well for you.
Sorry about the blisters, but hey they heal.

Awesome job

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Chris S.
on 1/12/09 10:54 pm - SC
Thanks Scott. I do appreciate it

Love your quote on your signature, I saw similar signs along the way at Disney while running-always nice to smile at mile 24 when reading "chicks dig scars-keep going!"
Scott William
on 1/12/09 6:36 am
Chris,
I too am sorry that we didn't meet up.  My bad.  We were waiting for the bus and the transportation guy said, "runners only" which was the first time I heard that in 6 disney races.  We had to drive over and didn't get there till about 4:45.  Sorry.  I think that I may have some family talked into next year already strictly to spectate!

Anyway,  was getting the Goofy medal around your neck one of the best things of your life or what?  I know my first was and this year was close.  I actually think that this year was more satisfying than last year because I felt like I had more against me.

I will post a full report when I get home next week.  Today (monday) was a little tough with the soreness but keeping moving helps a lot.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Chris S.
on 1/12/09 10:59 pm - SC

Hey Scott,

Yup-definitely alittle sore, and that blister (glide worked-thanks) is now a blood blister under the toenail-going to the Dr today. Might lose the nail but so very worth it (wow that sounds stupid but true).

Sorry you had that confusion. I was in the medical tent anyway. And when I did finally make it to the Goofy tent-yes it was such an incredible feeling. Just the comraderie alone between runners was incredible. As I sat at the beginning of the food tent with my beverages trying to not pass out and regain my head, so many stopped and asked if I was OK and congratualted me-although they just finished and were just as weary. It was a phenomenal experience that I swore Sunday never to do again but Monday to DO AGAIN.

Keep on running. I am thinking....50 miler maybe? an ultra? why not-I still have 9 more toenails to lose....

Rob S.
on 1/12/09 8:22 pm - DE
Great job, Chris!
My report will be coming in the next day or so, but for me it is so great to say "I AM A MARATHONER".   Sorry I didn't catch up with you or Scott on Sunday.  I looked around at the welcome tent but no one looked familiar.  My goal was to finish under six hours, and I did it.  I did fairly well through the first fourteen miles (I actually caught up with the 5'30" pace group in mile eight, but lost them when we got to the entrance of Magic Kingdom, and got jammed up in the funnel of people).  It was such a fun race (other than the heat and humidity). 
I met Cassie and her husband Thursday night.  Cassie is wonderful, altough there is absolutely no way you can tell that she ever had RNY.  She is very petite. 
When I crossed the finish line I realized that I had accomplished something that I never envisioned doing in this lifetime.  It was an incredible feeling wearing that Mickey medal.  I wore it all day, even to dinner at the Rose & Crown Pub at the British pavilion at Epcot later that night.  I did take it off on Monday when I was dancing with the African congo band at Animal Kingdom.  But I wore it home on the flight back to Philly.  It was great to meet all the other marathoners and their families.  It was a tremendous way to start up a conversation.
I'll be posting a longer report later this week, but for now congrats.
DE Running Rob
Chris S.
on 1/12/09 11:07 pm - SC

CONGRATULATIONS ROB!!! You are a marathoner! And what a great FIRST out of MANY marathons to run. It was superb. I cannot say enough great things about Disney their staff and the programming. The heat did take its toll-it came up quick when I was about mile 21, and I seriously thought I was not going to make the last 100 yards over the finish line. But there was no way I wasn't going to.
I ran most of the way with the balloons of 5:30 also. She was a really good pacer wasn't she. Funny, great songs (to explain to others-the pacer was a lady who held a stick with 3 balloons -in the shape of Mickey mouse they think of EVERYTHING---with 5:30 on them. So-if you wanted to run a 5 1/2 hour marathn-just stick with her and she will get you to the finish line. She did a run walk, run 1 mile walk for 50 seconds I think)---so at one point-I was running with you. How funny!!

I hate I missed you and Cassie at the World of Sports. I picked up my packets early (1pm) and had the 5K the next day so I got to bed early. And wear that medal with pride everyday this week-you are a MARATHON RUNNER!!!

Congrats to you sir. See you again next year????????????

Deanna34
on 1/13/09 8:07 am - Salem, OR
You are my hero, seriously!  I wish I could have been there with ya! 

D  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Chris S.
on 1/16/09 5:43 am - SC
ME TOO! Maybe the DisneyLAND marathon next year???
Most Active