Trainer or No Trainer that is the Question.

Jce3g
on 1/10/09 6:56 am - MI
Alright , here is the discussion.  I am one year post surgery.  I am down 200 pounds and completed an MS 150 and a couple of short 3-4 mile running events.  All this has been accomplished simply by eating less (surgery) and moving more (heavy cardio, not much weights.)  I would like to lose another 50 (to get me below 200) and complete 4 tri's  the  longest being an Olympic Distance, another MS 150 and the Crim (10 mile run) as well as becoming an all around better athlete. (endourance, speed, agility)

I am consinder hiring a trainer and wanted some of your feedback and experience with hiring a trainer.  I want to incorporate total body workouts that are less about building brute strength and focus on balance, core strength, and still get a great cardio work out in the process.  I know how to lift for strength but not as much for what I am describing. 

What should I look for and what should I ask

Jason
Mifiremedic
on 1/10/09 8:41 am - MI
Jason,

I think its completly a call that only you can make. I have decided to spend my money on specialized coaching, such as swimming, run camps, and of course toys.

If you feel you need a trainer to get where you want, then by all means go for it. If you think you can read enough, wake up early for those early morning workouts on your own, then save your money for something else.

Have you done any triathlons yet? If so which ones? What part of MIchigan are you from?

Curt
prek-3
on 1/11/09 3:18 am - Hollywood, FL
If you can afford a trainer, go for it. Some times we need someone more objective to get us to consider other ways of working those muscles. My husband and I share a trainer with 2 other people (to keep cost down), she works through a hospitals fitness center. My trainer has NEVER done a session the same! She is constantly changing it up! She is into body building, so she knows what she is talking about. She also talks about nutritional needs as we go.

Of course, just because some one says they are a trainer, it doesn't mean a thing if they are trarining you like all their other clients. They should be able to address your particular needs and have a plan to help you meet your goals. My daughter had a trainer who had her do the same O, same O everyday! She wasn't challenging herself nor her body. 

Ask for references from former clients, or perhaps someone you have seen how they are condidtioned and go from there. Go into it for a short time period, see if your personalities mesh, sometimes that alone can be conflicting.

I haven't regretted it,
Prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/09 3:25 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I have a trainer myself.  It helps keep me on track and I get a better balanced workout. 

I had ankle reconstruction surgery last year and I strongly suspect part of the reason I am able run as soon and as well as I do is because my trainer has pushed me in the right directions.  Mind you, I still have a ways to go before I can possibly think about competitive running.

Lisa
Most Active