Hello, Been MIA For a While/Marathon Question

puddin2day
on 1/8/09 6:40 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Everyone,

I have missed everyone on this board and running.  I want to do it again, but I have not ran since the Long Beach Half (10/08).  I have been semi-serious about starting to run again (I purchased some cold weather running gear).   Now I have to put the clothes /shoes on and get off my rear end.  As soon as I get over this cold, I intend to start running again.  Let me ask you, given my running experience, can I do a full marathon this year (around May or June) without any problems?  I am gaining weight and the only way I can truly keep it off is to run. 

Any and all input will be appreciated.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/8/09 6:52 am - Fort Worth, TX
Ever consider a heart rate monitor and mowing lawns... LOL (See a previous post 3 before yours). In all seriousness, I think if you have done a half, you could work up to a full no prob. Just be careful in your training and progress SLOWLY. Increase your distance by 1 - 2 miles every other week and you will be fine. Best of luck!

-Dan
www.trimywill.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

puddin2day
on 1/8/09 6:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
Dan,

Aren't you the witty one?!  I do have a heart rate monitor... I guess I should take out of the box in order for it to be effective.  I was wondering if I should start at the beginning of a marathon program (Galloway's) or start somewhere in the middle?

Kim

Brian W.
on 1/8/09 7:48 am - Belmont, CA
Kim

I just started a 20 week marathon training program that will take me right up to the SD marathon on May 31st.  So you sure have enough time to train.

Good Luck

Brian
~350
puddin2day
on 1/8/09 7:55 am - Los Angeles, CA
That is good to know.  Thanks, Brian.

MaryS
on 1/8/09 9:31 pm - Long Island, NY
Kim,

You can do it. Since you haven't been running the last three months, I would recommend starting at the beginning of a marathon training program, you have time to build up your distance. I also second Dan's advice to progress slowly - I think trying to do too much too quickly is how I injured myself last fall.

Best of luck,

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

puddin2day
on 1/9/09 12:26 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Mary,

I going to get Galloway's book this weekend to start reading it.  Next week (after I get over this cold) I will start running.

Thank you so much for your reply.  If you don't mind me asking... how where you doing too much too quickly?  When I was training for the half marathon, I added another mile every other week.

Kim

Kevin A.
on 1/8/09 11:48 pm, edited 1/8/09 11:48 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Welcome back!!! Yes YOU CAN!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
puddin2day
on 1/9/09 12:22 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for believing in me , Kevin.  My running coach told me that I need to start with a 10 mile long run, if I want to do a marathon in May (San Diego Rock n' Roll).

Kevin A.
on 1/9/09 3:08 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Well I don't think you need to start with 10 miles long run.. You still have over 4 months!! But you do need to get back on track because they will pull you off the course if your not running fast enough!!

Let me know when your ready to do some long run we can set up some time on the weekend to help get you running or just be your crew..

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active