10K Training Questions

Vampi
on 1/7/09 10:04 pm - Mandeville, LA

Hi everyone! 

I am starting to train for my first 10k (Crescent City Classic in New Orleans).  I am using the joggers training calender off the Crescent City Classic website.

The training calendar says tonight I am supposed to walk 2-1/2 miles, then rest tomorrow, then the next day is walk 3 miles, then in a few more day adding a little bit of jogging.  This is less than I usually do, especially on an intensity level. 

This is my first 10k and I certainly don't feel like I know more than the training people, but it sounds like I am taking easy.  Should I follow the plan or do my own thing until the plan catches up with me?  Is taking it easy at the beginning of a training plan important? 

Also, I have a 5k coming up in a few weeks and I don't want to get too lazy before then. 

Thanks for the advice! 

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Brian W.
on 1/8/09 12:58 am - Belmont, CA

Hi Vampi

My 2 cents.  I think the answer depends on your previous experience.  If you've been running, even small amounts prior to this training program, then you could probably modify your training to include more running/jogging.

I have a book by a top running coach Brad Hudson and one of his key points is to always adapt your training to how your body feels.  If you feel you can do more one day, do it, but if your body says do less, then listen to that.

Good Luck

Brian
~350

Vampi
on 1/8/09 11:53 am - Mandeville, LA
Thanks for the advice!  

Prior to getting this training calendar, I was already increasing my running distance based on when I felt I was ready.   

Listening to my body is one of my biggest challenges!!  I get so excited and have so much energy now that I want to do it all! 

kypdurran
on 1/8/09 1:09 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hey Vampi.   First, you chose a GREAT race as your first 10K.   I've done the classic for the past 6 years (walking it when I was a 'big' boy) and running it for the past couple years.  

The training plan they put out on the CCC10K site is relative.  It's really for someone that isn't exercising at all and decides a few months out that they want to do the race.   Think of it as a "A Couch to Classic" plan.  :)   Do what feels right to you and listen to your body.   If you feel like you can run a bigger portion of the 2.5 miles then do that.   Your body will tell you if you are doing too much too soon.  

I'll see you out on the course.   It's my favorite road race of the year. 

Chad
www.team464.com

Vampi
on 1/8/09 11:59 am - Mandeville, LA
THANKS!! 

I can't wait for it.  I did "A Run Through History 5k" back in November at Metairie Cemetary and it was awesome! 

I am so excited about the CCC, it's such a tradition in New Orleans and I am proud just to participate! 

Keep an eye out for me - I will be way at the back of the starting line!  LOL

Most Active