Discouraged

Seht
on 1/7/09 7:00 am
I'm not making the progress I would like.  I see that some of you are just monsters when it comes to working out, and I want to be there too.

I have tried using the trainer at the gym, but they aren't much help, basically highschool or college age kids *****ally don't know anything about training anyone, they know how to use the machine and that's about it.  God forbid you bring up anything as complicated as having to deal with WLS.

I have checked with my local support group, and I'm probably the most active among them, which is kind of depressing itself.  So there wasn't any help there.

I really do feel like I'm floundering or perhaps sliding backwards instead of making progress.  I'm not increasing my speed or my distance when runnig.  I can swim more laps, but I still have to stop and take breaks.  I can't seem to get any consecutive distance in the pool.  1 or 2 laps then I need to stop and catch my breath.  About the only thing I can do is ride, but that is slow too.  I manage about 15 mph on the bike, and I have to work to get that.

I managed to complete the couch to 5k program once, but haven't been able to complete it again since that one time.  I still haven't been able to put together any runs outside that are of any distance.  My longest is 2 miles without a break, then I end up walking.  Today the most I could manage was 1/2 mile at a time followed by 1/4 mile of walking.

I'm starting to wonder if my body can do it.  Perhaps after 40 years of abusing my health, my body just isn't going to allow me to do what I want to do.  I'm not looking for a pep talk or emotional support, I'm just hoping to hear how you got to the point you are at now.  How did you manage to run a marathon, how were you able to train yourself to be able to complete a triathlon.  How long did it take you?

Being competative is so ingrained into my being that when I look at my results and I compare them with other runners/athletes It's like getting the wind knocked out of me.  I just can't be happy with a complete vs. compete mentality.  I might be happy with complete, if I were able to complete it, but I don't view stopping and walking as a success.  When I enter a run, I want to run not walk.  I see myself taking 36 minutes to run/walk a 5k, and the next slowest person did it in 29 minutes.  That means I would need to cut over 2 minutes off of each mile just to not be the last finisher.  Going from a 12 minute mile to a 10 minute mile just seems so huge.  Almost impossible when I look at how tired I am.  I don't feel like I'm leaving anything out there on the course, so I don't know where those 2 minute are going to come from.

Alright I guess I'm done wallowing in self pitty , any suggestions for training would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Brian W.
on 1/7/09 8:33 am - Belmont, CA
I think its all about one word my friend....perspective!

You are coming up on 1 year out of surgery.  I wasn't completing 5k, 10k or marathons 1 year after surgery, or 2, or 3, etc.

The fact that you are doing the things you are doing so soon after surgery is great.  Each of us had weight take its toll on our bodies in different ways, so it may take you a little longer than someone else for your body to train.

Heck I still can't swim a full lap in the pool w/o stopping, which is why i won't do triathlons, but I can do a 6 mile run like its nothing now.

Being 6 years out, it took my body about 4 years to be able to exercise comfortably.  Then after my reconstructive surgery is when i was able to run seriously for the first time. 

i see the faster runners too and wanna be like them.  I compete in the divisions where I'll be 20 min off the first place time, but placing is not my goal.  My goal is to beat myself.  As long as I keep improving my times, then I'm satisfied.  There's no way I can run a 5 min mile, but maybe i'll be able to run a 9 min mile one day.

So I say you gotta keep things in perspective.

Good Luck

Brian
victoria R.
on 1/7/09 10:25 am - goose creek, SC
Scott
Brian made some great points in his reply.  I think you're doing great.  I do have a sense of what you're feeling & I'm starting out and already concerened about my times. I am fortunate to have a very experienced and motivated coach who works with me on my goals.  If you don't have someone in your gym maybe could you check the local Tri club to see if there is someone who could help you or the local running club.  Don't let your frustrations get in the way of your goals.  Hope this helps

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

kypdurran
on 1/7/09 11:04 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hey Scott.  You've accomplished a ton in the short year since your journey began.  

Are you getting enough rest?   You'd be plenty surprised what overtraining with not enough rest can do to your body.   I was an overtraining fool last year until I solicited the help of a coach who now has me doing specific, quality training routines.  LESS IS MORE!   Took me awhile to belive it but I'm stronger, faster and healthier than I was 6 months ago when I THOUGHT I was in pretty good shape.  :)

Take baby steps, keep focused and I promise you will get to where you want to be!   I'll leave you with 2 of my favorite quotes...

"Little by little, one travels far."
J.R.R. Tolkien

"It does not matter how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get up"
-Vince Lombardi

Hang in there man.  

Chad

Chunky Dunker
on 1/7/09 12:49 pm - WA
The point is you are still going even if you have to walk more. Some days, even some weeks, you have more energy than others. Just keep on keeping on.

I can relate with your local support group being a bust. I am one of 2 in ours who excercises, who isn't gaining weight, who isn't making excuses. I quit going because I got tired of hearing how everyone cheats, what to eat to try and cheat, people whining instead of trying. I had surgery so I could loose weight to the point where I could run and keep it off. Yes, I cheat sometimes, probably 3 or 4 times a YEAR!

I didn't start running until I was 14 months post op.  So, I think you are doing great!
MacMadame
on 1/7/09 4:06 pm - Northern, CA
I agree about a tri club. They have coaches who can help you plan out a good training program. There are tons in our area. Maybe TOO many. I'm still trying to figure out which one to join!

The other thing to think about is that when we first start exercising, we have so far to go and can make progress in leaps and bounds. That's the point I'm at now. But eventually you make all the easy progress and it gets harder to make big leaps. I have come to that point before in other sports and it can be frustrating. A common reaction is to either slack off because you are demotivated or to overtrain. I've done both and, um, neither works.

Oh, the other thing is, some of the people on here are doing an INTIMIDATING amount of exercise. When I'm at the gym and I do more miles than the last time and see people coming after me and leaving before me, I am so pleased with myself. Then I go to post in the daily exercise thread and I'm almost embarrassed because my amounts seem so piddly.

But the people who intimidate me are all much farther along than me -- they are doing marathons while I'm still working on a 5k or they are doing Half or Full Ironmans when I'm still freaked out to try the Sprint distance. So I have to keep reminding myself of that and not compare myself to them. Plus, I know there are people out there who are intimidated by ME, as crazy as that seems. I bet the people in your support group think you are DA BOMB when it comes to exercise, in fact. And they are right.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 1/7/09 7:19 pm - Missoula, MT
Hey Scott,

I know I'm a broken record here, but I still think your biggest issue is nutrition.  I don't think you eat enough to keep yourself sustained for the workouts you want to do.  Recovery eating is important also.  Also, I think you need to eat 1800 cal/day or more.  Food cannot be the enemy - it is a necessity for the athlete.

I'm over 40 and have very little trouble if I eat well.  I was able to do my first 10k race within 5 months after I started running and did it just under an hour.  I eat more than anyone I know around my neck of the woods who's had WLS, but I've also been able to maintain for the last 4 years.  I've worn out clothes for the first time in my adult life!

I do think you've probably found some good training plans, but you might spend less time on the elliptical and more on the tread or outside if you really want to race better and do tris.

It is totally possible!  I know you can do it. 

Linn
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/7/09 9:48 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Buddy,

I want to just leave a comment about your post. In the race of life, including races  or training, there is only one person you need to beat.... That is yourself. Do the best that is within you! Some of the people who have great times or are doing so much were athletes before gaining immense amounts of weight, some people were swimmers in their former life, I train pretty hard, and every time I go to a race, I still feel like an "Outcast" or that I don't belong. That's just my old obese me playing games in my head, perhaps you are experiencing that too. When I belly-upped to start line at my marathon last month, I knew full well that I would not beat most of those people, but then I thought to myself, none of these folks probably weighed 30 pounds over their healthy weight in their life, and I was 400 pounds less than a year ago. Keep things in perspective as others have said, don't compare yourself to others because there will always be someone better, compare yourself to where you came from and I promise you will find so much more gratification in your accomplishments from day-to-day.  Chin-up bro, you have done an amazing job so far, everyone tells you that, including me, stop listening to the old bads thoughts that your formerly obese body is trying to put in your head, listen to those whom which YOU inspire, which is far more than you know. Take care my friend and stay the course, improvement is inevitable.

-Dan
www.trimywill.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Elisa K.
on 1/7/09 9:49 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Scott - I agree with Linn - I don't think you are eating enough to sustain your workouts.  I remember you saying that your WLS nutrionist wasn't very good - perhaps you should see someone more sports oriented?

Good luck Scott!!  

saxman007
on 1/8/09 8:36 am - Port Huron, MI
 Scott,
Hang in there man!!!  There's lots of good advice already given.  Here's another route: go take a walk around your local mall.  Take in all the people that are there -- especially those that have to ride on the scooters due to their weight.  Think about the journey you've made and all the progress/success you've achieved.  I can almost promise you that you're in better health/shape than most of the people you'll see.
Like was already said, the only one you need to beat is you so who cares if you're 6 minutes later than the last person crossing the finish line.  My suggestion on that is to find a bigger event so you'll have more company:)  I don't think I've done one that hasn't had multiple people at 40+ minutes.
Keep the chin up, you're obviously inspiring people at your local WLS support group.  Every one on this board is at different spots in their training/goals and that's the beauty what we're doing.  It's all about improving yourself not competing with each other.
--Sax

Most Active