I WANNA DO A 5K RUN!

Derek T.
on 1/5/09 11:30 pm - Miami Lakes, FL
This is my first time posting here, so I'll give a short intro.

I'm Derek from Miami. I had the lap band procedure done in Jan. 2008 and have lost 123lbs to date. My goal for 2008 was to begin the process of losing weight and work towards laying the foundation for a healthy life. Now, in 2009 I want to push the envelope a bit further and get more atlethic. I did a 5K walk for Diabetes a few months in October of 2008 and love it. After reading some of your posts I have a new goal for 2009...I WANT TO COMPLETE A 5K RUN!!!!

Can you all give me some suggestions on preparing for a 5K. Even though I do loads of cardio, I still find running for more than 5-6 minutes to be diffilcult. I can get up to 7.5 on the elliptical machine, but running on the treadmill is a killer. Perhaps at 299 lbs. I'm still too heavy for running?

Also, where can I find out about 5K's in my area? I'm in Miami, Florida and would travel in the southern region to participate in races.

Please help...I'm excited about 2009!

D

"Never allow anyone to place a "period" in your life. Other people may add commas, or dashes and semi-colons, but only GOD can end the sentence!"

Seht
on 1/6/09 12:00 am
Congrats, and good luck with 2009. 

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This is a nice easy program that got me through a 5k.

http://www.runmiami.com/

http://www.active.com/running/

This is from Active
http://search.active.com/?tab=events&q=&start_date=&end_date =&l=Miami%2C+Florida&p=0&channel=Running&mediatype=&int=&com mit.x=21&commit.y=17

Carnaval Miami Calle Ocho 8k Feb 27, 2009 Miami, FL 0.46 miles away
No Tropical 5K Jan 24, 2009 Miami - Miami Beach, FL 1.03 miles away
No Celebrity 5K Mar 22, 2009 Miami - Miami Beach, FL 1.03 miles away
No ING Miami Marathon & Half Marathon Jan 25, 2009 Miami - Miami Beach, FL 1.03 miles away
Yes SOBeFiT Magazine 5K Run and Fitness Festival Feb 08, 2009 Miami Beach, FL 3.50 miles away
Yes Ocean Drive 5K Run Mar 07, 2009 Miami Beach, FL 3.50 miles away
No ALS Recovery Run May 09, 2009 Coconut Grove, FL 4.29 miles away
Yes FICPA 1040K 5K/10K Run/Walk Apr 15, 2009 Miami, FL 4.29 miles away
Yes Key Biscayne Lighthouse 10K/5K Run Nov 14, 2009 Key Biscayne, FL 5.29 miles away
No Sunsmart Sprint May 02, 2009 Key Biscayne, FL 5.29 miles away
Yes Tribute to the Military 5k Run & Fitness Walk Feb 08, 2009 Coral Gables, FL 6.19 miles away
Yes Baptist Health Tour of the Gables May 16, 2009 Coral Gables, FL 6.19 miles away
Yes Martin Luther King Jr. 5k Run/Fitness Walk Jan 19, 2009 Miami, FL 6.37 miles away
No Calle Ocho 8K Feb 27, 2009 Miami, FL 7.01 miles away
No Marathon Miami Mar 01, 2009 Miami, FL 7.01 miles away
No City of Doral 5k Mar 07, 2009 Miami, FL 7.01 miles away
No Lou Gehrigs Disease 5K/10K Run May 09, 2009 Miami, FL 7.01 miles away
No ING Miami Half Marathon Jan 25, 2009 Miami, FL 7.01 miles away
No 13.1 Marathon Miami Mar 08, 2009 Miami, FL 7.01 miles away
Yes South Miami Hospital Twilight 5k Jun 07, 2009 South Miami, FL 8.19 miles away
Yes TeamFootWorks Inaugural Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Marathon and ... Feb 07, 2009 South Miami, FL 8.19 miles away
No Town of Bay Harbor Islands Jan 18, 2009 Bay Harbor, FL 8.61 miles away
Yes Inspiration 5k Run & Fitness Walk Jan 18, 2009 Miami, FL 9.80 miles away

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

panhead58fl
on 1/6/09 12:56 am - Barboursville, WV
Hi Derek,

First if you haven't already, go to a running shop and get fit for some good running shoes. It made a world of difference to me.

Second start our slow and work up to longer distances. I started walking first and then would jog a block and then walk a block or two then jog some more. Before you know it you will be amazed how far you can go.

You can go to, www.runnersworld.com, and do a search for Miami or within however many miles of Miami you want to travel.

pan head
Derek T.
on 1/6/09 1:47 am - Miami Lakes, FL
Thanks for the info, guys.

"Never allow anyone to place a "period" in your life. Other people may add commas, or dashes and semi-colons, but only GOD can end the sentence!"

saxman007
on 1/6/09 3:10 am - Port Huron, MI
 Derek,
Welcome to the addicting world of running!  That coach to 5K is a great resource as is the already mentioned runners world website.  My only additional suggestion would be to sign up for one in late march/early april.  There's nothing like having a deadline to push us to do it.  I find it easier to run outside because it's easier to run to the next lightpost/driveway/mailbox, but where ever you run a couple of times a week try to add another 10-15 seconds.  If you can do 6 minutes without walking aim for 6:15, etc.  
I had no idea what to expect for my first 5K and after I did it I realized I wanted to do more.  They're addicting and FUN!!!
Good luck and keep us updated on your training!
--Sax

Vampi
on 1/6/09 9:31 am - Mandeville, LA
HI!! 

I just did my first 5k in November!  It was great and I can't wait to do more. 

My piece of advice pertains more to developing the right attitude about running.  I would love for you to read one of John Bingham's books.  He wrote "No Need for Speed" and "The Courage to Start".  He also writes for Runner's World magazine.  He is very inspiring and puts running into the right prespective for what he calls "adult onset atheletes".  He was overweight, out of shape, and a smoker when he started running in his 40s. 

www.johnbingham.com

Sorry, I sound like a commercial, but I am addicted to his books.  They have really helped me get started.  "No Need for Speed" is great because it is written just for beginners.  I was terrfied to even go into a REAL shoe store to get fitted for proper running shoes.  I had no idea what to expect until I read this book. 

Good luck to you!! 

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Scott William
on 1/6/09 10:51 pm
Here is my advice:  Find a race and sign up immediately.  That will give you a goal and a time line.  Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
victoria R.
on 1/6/09 11:09 pm - goose creek, SC
Derek
Hi & welcome!  Everyone has already given great advice.  Go ahead and sign up for an event and work towards your goals.  I have a little mantra I chant sometimes when I'm running " just put one foot in front of the other and breathe" it may sound silly but it has gotten me through some times when I wanted to stop.  Posting here also helps me a great deal.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Chunky Dunker
on 1/7/09 11:32 am - WA
You can do it!! A 5K sounds like a lot a first, but before you know it, you'll be going further and further. The afore-mentioned couch to 5K is a great program. I ran a 1/2 marathon with their training schedule last July.

348/180
3.75 years post op
Linn D.
on 1/7/09 7:24 pm - Missoula, MT
Most people I know who do a lot of cardio still find it hard to run.  It's for a good reason - running IS harder and requires a lot more from your body than any other exercise.

If you can already run 5 minutes at a time, try a couch to 5k program and pick up somewhere in the middle.  You should be ready to do one in a month or 2.

Linn
Most Active