Net Calories vs Total Calories

goat
on 1/5/09 8:37 am - NC
My nutritionist recommended a calorie range for me to shot for each day. My question is if I'm exercising and journaling that am I trying to get the net calories to be that number or the total. If it's the net sometimes the # is pretty pitiful. I've been sort of stalled and have really wondered if I've been eating enough to compensate for my workouts.

Cassie W.
on 1/5/09 9:04 am
Sabrina,

I had to increase my calorie intake in order to make sure that I had enough fuel for my workouts and still lose weight.  I had to experiment a bit before I found the tipping point and it's different for everyone depending on your current weight, height, age, activity level, etc.

Every week, I added 100 calories each day, timing most of the extra calories before and after my workouts.  When I started to gain wait, I dropped the calories back down to the prior week's level.  The key is to make sure that you're adding good fuel, not junk, as you experiment.

Here's a link to a calculator that will give you an idea of how many calories that you need each day just to maintain your weight. www.active.com/fitness/calculators/calories/  You'll need to reduce the result by 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week.

I'm very active, so to maintain my weight, I typically eat between 1800 and 2300 calories per day, depending upon the intensity and duration of my workouts.  The calculator says I need to eat 2,265 calories a day to maintain my weight.  So, it's pretty accurate for me.  If I wanted to lose a pound a week, I'd need to eat between 1300 and 1800 calories a day depending on my workouts.

Good luck,

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

goat
on 1/5/09 10:16 am, edited 1/5/09 10:17 am - NC
Oh thank you! That calculator is extremely helpful, it said to maintain i needed like 2400 calories, but since I'm still wanting to lose 20 lbs. I won't eat that much. I guess somewhere in my mind I was thinking because of the RNY I needed to eat a lot less than say the average person that wanted to lose weight and I guess that belief got reinforced in my mind by my NUT. telling me to aim for 1200/day. I do aim for that but generally end up being closer to 1300, but when I factor in my workouts that range between 600-1000 cals burned/day (I work out 5-6x/week) you can see where I might have some issues. I'm going to up my calories to about 1400-1600 and see how that goes.

Cassie W.
on 1/5/09 10:31 am
I think the nutritionists are very cautious with RNY patients because so many don't exercise.   But, those of us who have embraced fitness and work out hard need the extra calories.  We just have to remember to cut back on our rest days.

A banana is a good source of extra calories before your workouts.  They're nutritious and have the carbs you need for energy.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

goat
on 1/5/09 10:46 am - NC
You are so right. I do think initially she didn't realize or grasp that I was "really" working out. Now, I haven't been able to see her for a few months and I've been just trying to stay the course with the information she gave me...but while I certainly wasn't gaining weight... I hadn't lost either. I knew I needed to try something a bit different if I wanted to get where I want to go.

MacMadame
on 1/5/09 3:07 pm - Northern, CA
I find those calorie calculators really over-estimate how many calories I can consume. Pre-op I had one tell me that at my calorie consumption, I should be losing 2 lb. a week. I was losing about .5 a week at the time.

I just eat as little as I can and still have the energy to do my workouts and this has worked well for me.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

goat
on 1/6/09 2:41 am - NC
On January 5, 2009 at 11:07 PM Pacific Time, MacMadame wrote:
I find those calorie calculators really over-estimate how many calories I can consume. Pre-op I had one tell me that at my calorie consumption, I should be losing 2 lb. a week. I was losing about .5 a week at the time.

I just eat as little as I can and still have the energy to do my workouts and this has worked well for me.
I'll take it with a grain of salt...I just needed a goal to shoot for. I'm not very good at just judging that I'm eating enough or worst more than a enough. I seem to stay more on track if I can think in terms of something black and white.

Most Active