Ouch!! Cramp!

LesIsMore
on 1/3/09 10:36 am
I have been having the worst cramps at night in my feet and ankles.  They interupt my sleep and have made me afraid to move in my sleep.  I had my 3 month check-up with the doctor, labs were fine and he simply said it was from the exercise I am doing.  He gave me no suggestions for a remedy.

For the last two months I have been walking on the treadmill and riding the stationary bike at the gym.  Most times its been 6-7miles on the bike 3-4days a week and about 45mins on the machines.  I walk almost 2 miles daily and want to do more, both walking and gym wise, but the cramping 2 or three times a night and sometimes more is becoming ridiculous.  It really hurts!

Has anyone else experienced this or know of ways to help?  Is it my shoes?  Will it stop eventually?  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Leslie
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/3/09 11:40 am - Fort Worth, TX
Sounds kind of like shin splints, but not too sure. I think a very big thing that is overlooked is stretching. Try focusing your stretching before and after your workouts on the excercised muscle, then try to do a few more stretches on those areas that are bothering you. I have heard from several folks that have shin splints (still not sure that's what you have) that wearing compresion socks during and post excercise can really help. I would deffinetly invest in a good pair of shoes. Go to a local running store, have them video your technique and get a recommendation for a good pair of shoes... It will make a WORLD of difference. Also, are you getting your B12 in EVERy day? What about sodium intake? I would try to do these things first, and if the problems still persist, go see your doc for sure. Walking with or through an injury will do way more damage than good. Hope any of this helps. Take care....
-Dan
www.trimywill.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

LesIsMore
on 1/3/09 1:20 pm
Thanks Dan!  I know its not shin splints, had those when I played tennis in another lifetime :)  I will try doing some ankle rotations and foot stretches before and after exercising.  I am good about my B12 and being so soon out from my surgery my sodium intake is low.  I tried sleeping with my feet elevated and that helped for a couple of days but maybe with the compression socks it would help more.

I like the excuse to buy a new pair of shoes and will do that.  I definitely don't want to hurt myself.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Leslie
Elisa K.
on 1/4/09 6:42 am - Lumberton, NJ
I was also experiencing cramping when I slept - mostly in my calves.  My nutritionist told me to add a potasium supplement - worked like a charm - no more cramping. 

Good luck!!
MacMadame
on 1/4/09 1:21 pm - Northern, CA
I have something similar. I wake up and it feels like there is a cramp in one of my calves. It's not particularly painful, it's never woken me up if it wasn't time to get up, but it was making me worried.

I had my potassium levels checked and they were fine (better than pre-op, in fact).

I do stretch after the treadmill and I do Pilates on days I ride the bike which has lots of stretching. So I don't think it's stretching.

Maybe I'm dehydrated? Too few carbs? Maybe I'm exercising in my sleep?!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active